Floating the Cedar River

mcoomer

Had a good float today. Put in at the railroad bridge but only managed to get to Cedar Grove by the end of the day. Fished about 5 hours, fishing each run pretty slowly. Started off tossing BWO but had only one take. Switched over to an attractor with a bead head prince dropper and fished that for the rest of the day. Had good success with the nymph and one take with the attractor right off the end of a downed tree. All in all a good day.

King_James

Tuber's-galore on the Cedar today. Started out at Belmondo Reach area and worked my way upstream, could hardly find a section of water that wasn't blown out by loud-mouthed tubers swimming in and out of the best trout pools and runs, guess we have to share the river...I try to respect others that use the river but it is hard to do so when you see coke cans and zip lock bags floating down the river all day, and inner-tube wrappers sitting on the side of the river.

I was fishing my way up a nice pool just upstream from Belmondo and some guy wades across the river and basically across the pool with his stereo, 30 rack of Rainier, and beach chair, and plops down on the beach on the inside of the bend and blasts music, with me fishing 30 feet away. The audacity of some people...

james.jimenez

Tuber's-galore on the Cedar today. Started out at Belmondo Reach area and worked my way upstream, could hardly find a section of water that wasn't blown out by loud-mouthed tubers swimming in and out of the best trout pools and runs, guess we have to share the river...I try to respect others that use the river but it is hard to do so when you see coke cans and zip lock bags floating down the river all day, and inner-tube wrappers sitting on the side of the river.

I was fishing my way up a nice pool just upstream from Belmondo and some guy wades across the river and basically across the pool with his stereo, 30 rack of Rainier, and beach chair, and plops down on the beach on the inside of the bend and blasts music, with me fishing 30 feet away. The audacity of some people...

Just wade up stream next time and pee. Make sure they see you, that's what I do. No water all day so is nice and yellow.. Some asparagus puts some stank on it as well..

Cascadian

What is the "dangerous" obstacle downstream of the Renton Community Center? I remember reading signs when wade fishing down there, but I would like to plan a float through that section if possible. Sounds like some of you have done it recently.

I have never fished downstream of there and thought it might be worth checking out to get away from all the tubers.

Also, I have talked to the guy that lives in the house near the Cedar Mountain parking area multiple times. He keeps an eye on tweakers that break into cars around there. As previously mentioned, there is one or more mountain bike bandits that ride up and down the trail and break into cars. I have witnessed this first hand and confronted one as he was scoping out my truck. My suggestion is to avoid that area if you can, or at least make sure there is nothing of value visible in your vehicle. From talking to the local homeowner.. the guy has been arrested numerous times and keeps getting out.

Brian Caud

WFF Supporter
Any more recent experience than 2015?

Going to attempt Landsburg to hwy 18 this weekend. 3 guys in single pontoons.

castsN2trees

The fish are calling.....
WFF Supporter
Hey spelunker, how were the flows for wading? Saw they bumped up.
I waded one section this morning and one this evening... it’s doable, but it’s also tricky... water is up and fast... I had to cross a narrow section, and the water was too strong....ended up taking a dunk and a ride....
The river has changed completely in some areas.... due to the floods.... again, it’s doable, but be careful

Last edited:

radiowires

I waded one section this morning and one this evening... it’s doable, but it’s also tricky... water is up and fast... I had to cross a narrow section, and the water was too strong....ended up taking a dunk and a ride....
The river has changed completely in some areas.... due to the floods.... again, tilts doable, but be careful
Yikes, glad you are ok! Scary stuff. Thanks for the info, much appreciated.

Brian Caud

WFF Supporter
We made it from landsburg to hwy 18/ 169

Quite the adventure. Very cool to float the river and see a bunch of areas that inaccessible from the railroad. One pontoon in our group lost an oar about halfway through the float. Tried to lash the two pontoons together but only made it about a mile before we called one of the wives to bring a truck and bail him out. Need spare oars and oar leashes next time. if anyone finds a single black Cataract composite oar please reach out- lost near Arcadia

The remaining two of us floated the rest of the way. The log jamb near the trestle in Dorre Don moved the entire river into a side channel that had no access. Had to drag the boat about 1/2 mile down an empty river bed...

Wish the flow was a touch lower because a lot of good looking slots were just a touch too fast to fish. Will get pretty bony for floating if the river drops much though

Fishing this afternoon picked up and was pretty great.

Thinking of checking out the next section down on Monday

Attachments

Last edited:

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts