Floating the Cedar River

Young Engh

@Brian Caud Dude nice! way to get after it. I've been wanting to float the cedar for a while now. I bet the ol' watermaster would be ideal for the cedar. Glad to know its doable, albiet a bit sketchy. But sketchy is pretty par for the course on the Cedar.

@castsN2trees I went yesterday evening and had the same experience. Got a little excited and tried to cross the river. Slipped and fell in the drink. I dunked but no ride. Still managed to have a productive evening.

Next time I go I'll keep an eye out for an oar and some smith glasses.

Fishwizard253

I fished a few stretches of the upper section today. Water is definitely moving at a good clip, so I stayed close to the banks. Caught one and lost a couple. I’d like to float it this summer when the level goes down. View attachment 240993
I hit the lower section today and worked up as far as I could while trying to avoid the literal fiesta going on at Belmondo's reach. Not much social distancing going on except from me and the fish. Lost what felt like a decent sized one towards the end of the evening but was having trouble getting in to them with the water level as high as it was today. Oh well, back again tomorrow!

Fotdesign

I hit the lower section today and worked up as far as I could while trying to avoid the literal fiesta going on at Belmondo's reach. Not much social distancing going on except from me and the fish. Lost what felt like a decent sized one towards the end of the evening but was having trouble getting in to them with the water level as high as it was today. Oh well, back again tomorrow!
I stopped there around lunch. A few families on the beach, but I just went down toward the bridge. There was a big group just parking as I was leaving. Saw fish rising, but no takes. Good luck tomorrow.

castsN2trees

@Brian Caud Dude nice! way to get after it. I've been wanting to float the cedar for a while now. I bet the ol' watermaster would be ideal for the cedar. Glad to know its doable, albiet a bit sketchy. But sketchy is pretty par for the course on the Cedar.

@castsN2trees I went yesterday evening and had the same experience. Got a little excited and tried to cross the river. Slipped and fell in the drink. I dunked but no ride. Still managed to have a productive evening.

Next time I go I'll keep an eye out for an oar and some smith glasses.

Thnks Young Engh

PooterTooter

I pulled a drunk, dumb floater out of the Cedar on Thursday evening. Apparently he was too cool to get out of his float tube even when he saw the warning signs and another angler warned him and his floating buddies all exited. Took 2 beers and 30 minutes to calm down after that. Caught 5 bows.

Hendodesign

The areas that Ive explored so far since things have opened don't look passable. The flood dropped a ton of trees in the river and the river path has changed quite a bit in certain spots. Seems like the good fishing so far has been limited to the deeper pools with slower water. Nada in runs or riffles yet.

Matt B

WFF Supporter
The areas that Ive explored so far since things have opened don't look passable. The flood dropped a ton of trees in the river and the river path has changed quite a bit in certain spots. Seems like the good fishing so far has been limited to the deeper pools with slower water. Nada in runs or riffles yet.
Yep, lots of changes and not real conducive to safe floating. Heck, the river switched channels at Dorre Don. I think there are some property owners that wish it would switch back!

swanny17

Yep, lots of changes and not real conducive to safe floating. Heck, the river switched channels at Dorre Don. I think there are some property owners that wish it would switch back!
Yes it did! Are they still trying to divert the river there back in their favor? I reported it a few weeks back to WDFW and Dept of Ecology.

SUSteelie

Good catch on the river for a few hours yesterday evening. Normally pick up the trash I can while on the river, but in just a short section of this river I would have needed three garbage bags at least. The hodgman waders box was a funny pickup to me. I also laughed at the white Fila sandal sticking out of my hip pack walking down the Cedar River trail.

IMG_0160.jpg

Elliott5400

Are you referring to drug dealers and the sort..? Seems like a nice place to look at for fishing but I'll avoid going if there's any druggies around..
Renton in general has it's fair share of sketchy individuals.

I've spent a lot of time on the river and never really had a serious run in. But definitely a few heated moments.

Most of the time you're going to encounter poachers. The other times it's usually homeless people and some junkies. But I found as long as you aren't a dick if they try to talk to you, they usually aren't very harassing. Be rude to them and they might flip like a switch (I've seen it happen)

Always be aware of your surroundings, no matter where you fish. Be protected.

Don't let a few shit sack criminals deter you from fishing.

jayt1202

Hey, newbie to the forums here. Planning to float on the cedar this week with the great weather we are starting to get. Any hazards to be aware of. Planning to put in at the 76 station on maple valley hwy and get out at the Carco theater. Any advice/warnings is appreciated!

Quite a few trees across the river to be aware of. There’s a few log jams in there too. Be careful. You’ll definitely have to get out and walk quite a bit.

Hey, newbie to the forums here. Planning to float on the cedar this week with the great weather we are starting to get. Any hazards to be aware of. Planning to put in at the 76 station on maple valley hwy and get out at the Carco theater. Any advice/warnings is appreciated!

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts