SilverFly

Active Member
#46
I should probably switch to tying coho flies since the chance of tuna fishing again this year is somewhere between slim and none. Just can't seem to stop messing with tuna flies.

This version is tied on a 3/0 U-401 using Fishair blended with EP fiber at about a 60/40 mix. The top wing is a mix of Angel Hair in Baitfish, King Fisher Blue, Purple, and capped with Black Light. Also attached some parallel strands of fine lateral scale to the inside of the gill plates before tying them down. Seems to transition the flash at the head into the body better. The color transition at the head was done with fine point sharpies in blue, purple, and navy applied on successive coats of UV.

Finescale1.jpg
Finescale2.jpg
 
Last edited:

rainbow

My name is Mark Oberg
#47
I should probably switch to tying coho flies since the chance of tuna fishing again this year is somewhere between slim and none.

Still playing around with it though. This one is tied on a 3/0 U-401 using Fishair blended with EP fiber at about 60/40 mix. The top wing is a mix of Angel Hair in Baitfish, King Fisher Blue, Purple, and capped with Black Light. Also attached some parallel strands of fine lateral scale to the inside of the gill plates before tying them down. Seems to transition the flash at the head into the body better. The color transition at the head was done with fine point sharpies in blue. purple. and navy applied on successive coats of UV.

View attachment 105852
View attachment 105853
Perfect!.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 

SilverFly

Active Member
#48
Perfect!.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks. I am pleased with the effect of the lateral scale strips extending back from the underside of the gill plate. I have also been trying to layer some lateral scale into the wing by working progressively more strips from back to front after each wing bundle is tied in.
 

SilverFly

Active Member
#49
Still messing around with the gillplates and lateral scale strips. Expanded a bit on the lateral scale strip experiment in the previous post.

The idea with this version was to see how far I could go coverage wise with the parallel lateral scale strips. Ideally covering the bulk of the fly body with flash that appears somewhat realistic in the form of scales. Think I had some success with this by reinforcing the strips by bonding a few Fishair fibers to the back side of the strip "veils".

Strips tacked down with uncured UV resin:
Scale_veil1_50pct.jpg

Strips bonded together with saltwater flashabou (pre-cutout left and right sides)
Scale_veil2_50pct.jpg

Strip veils reinforced with Fishair fibers on front half, backside:
Scale_veil_reinforced_50pct.jpg

Fly ready for veils and gillplates:
Fly_pre_veil_50pct.jpg

Gillplate temporarily tied down and (sloppily) marked prior to trimming to shape:
Gill_plate_marked_50pct.jpg

Lateral scale veil attached to fly with UV:
Scale_veil_applied_50pct.jpg

Finished fly:
Fully_scaled_full_view.jpg

Front view showing thin profile:
Fully_scaled_front_50pct.jpg

"Predator" view from below showing flash being reflected from gillplate and scale strips:
Fully_scaled_ventral_view.jpg

Head close-up:
Fully_scaled_head_closeup.jpg
 
Last edited:

SilverFly

Active Member
#53
The previous version was really close to what I had in mind, but a few things were bugging me. One, I thought the mixed use of wide and fine Lateral Scale would look good but I just don't like it. Second, the head profile is too deep vertically, and third, the eye doesn't look like that of a real anchovy.

So I went back to the drawing board (literally) with the gill plates and scale veils. I should probably seek some help at this point but I'm getting damn close to what is in my head:

GillPlates_ScaleVeils_Rev3.png

Fly_ready_Rev3.jpg

Anchovy_scales_rev3.jpg

Anchovy_dark_view_Rev3.jpg
 
Last edited:

SilverFly

Active Member
#56
Holy crap, that head looks real. What did you use for the eyes and gill-plate shading on this version?
Thanks. I went a bit overkill (even for me) on this. For the eyes, I didn't like any of the commercially available ones so I made a simple die to punch out eye blanks out of a liter pop bottle. The material is just the right thickness, and curved slightly to fit the head shape better. Before attaching it to the gill plate I hand colored it with sharpie pens black for the pupil and navy for the over shading. After trimming the gill plate to shape, attached the eye with UV resin. Then shaded the top of the plate in navy and applied accents in light blue and purple with some gray for contrast.
 
#60
That'll never work I'll need to confiscate 2 doz so that you won't attempt to tie any more...this wasting your time with unproductive matters.

By the way ignore the fish I catch on them...it's all in your head. ;)