Trout Spey Click and Pawl Reel

Anyone using light weight clicker reels on a trout spey? I am looking for a small clicker to go on my Beulah Platinum 5wt spey. The only issue is it takes a very light reel to get the balance I like. My Lamson Guru 3 is 5.5oz empty and is too heavy. There are a few light clicker reels (under 5oz) for 6-7 wt single hand rods, but not sure if they have the capacity to fit a 300gr scandi or 325gr skagit and 100yds of backing. It seems most clickers are either too heavy or may not have the capacity.

Some options:

Hardy Princess
Hardy Bougle 3 1/2
Islander IR4

Anyone use these reels for trout speys or know of others that would work?

You might check out Orvis' current Battenkill offerings. You could likely get away with less than 100yds of backing, or look into some of the ultra thin backing options (Hatch backing comes to mind).

dogsnfish

I won an Abel classic at our club event a year ago, and when I looked it up the site said it was for trout spey lines (3-5?). I have used it on other rods and it sure is loud with a fish on! Not sure about the weight.

Salmo_g

I have a Hardy Princess and a St. Aidan. They weigh less than 5 oz. each. I don't think the Princess would hold even a trout Spey line. I holds a 100 yd of 20# backing and a standard WF7F for single hand rods. The St. Aidan has the same line capacity as my Hardy St. George, just a lighter weight reel.

Sg

Tom Palmer

I use an Abel classic on my 5-weight spey rod and it works great. Holds 150 yards of backing + 330gr Rage or 350gr Skagit. It is extremely fun for summer steelhead!

I'm surprised at your under 5oz requirement. My solid spool Abel feels heavy on the rod at home, but when actually fishing with the head out and river pulling on the rod during the swing it's actually too light to keep the tip up. But I like the reel so much I live with it.

The Orvis CFO series reels, aside from being drop-dead elegant, are very light for their capacity. The CFO V, which I used with 6- and 7-weight lines for decades, weighs 4 1/4 ounces empty. The slightly larger CFO VI probably weighs an ounce or so more, but is very scarce.

Lugan

Joe Streamer
My Abel Classic (smallest of the 3 in that series) was a solid backplate and ported spool, and weighed 6.5 ounces empty. I can't imagine that being too heavy for this application.

Thanks for the input everyone! That Abel reel looks really nice... Admittedly I have just done at home tests to determine balance, and did not consider the pull of the line during the swing to help balance things out. This opens up some possibilities.

Thanks for the input everyone! That Abel reel looks really nice... Admittedly I have just done at home tests to determine balance, and did not consider the pull of the line during the swing to help balance things out. This opens up some possibilities.
With all do respect I think you may be over complicating it just a smidge. Since balancing a rod has nothing to do with catching steelhead you other guys dont have shit on me here.
What I do know is that a rod is not going to blow up on you if its a little nose or tail heavy. I have casted many different rods at different balance points and they casted. Exceptionally well actually.

My desire for a perfectly balanced rod has nothing to do with the effectiveness of my swing or my ability to cast, as I can do both just as well when things aren't balanced perfectly. It has everything to do with the enjoyment of fishing a two handed rod, a well balanced set up is a thing of beauty. I like having the rod balanced during the swing with my hand in the exact same position I like during my cast. No messing about with changing where I have to hold the rod or having to hold the rod with an overly firm grip. Because we swing flies for the enjoyment of it, why not make it as enjoyable as possible?

My desire for a perfectly balanced rod has nothing to do with the effectiveness of my swing or my ability to cast, as I can do both just as well when things aren't balanced perfectly. It has everything to do with the enjoyment of fishing a two handed rod, a well balanced set up is a thing of beauty. I like having the rod balanced during the swing with my hand in the exact same position I like during my cast. No messing about with changing where I have to hold the rod or having to hold the rod with an overly firm grip. Because we swing flies for the enjoyment of it, why not make it as enjoyable as possible?
Do you by chance have a unique formula to keep the rod perfectly balanced when its windy?

I fished my Hardy Salmon 1 on my Beulah 6 weight switch and it balanced for both swing and single hand casting. My ACR 117 3 weight balances with my Guru 3,

I have the Salmon 1 for sale with backing and Varivas running line. It might be too heavy, but you'll want something a bit heavier while swinging.

DH

Jerry Daschofsky

Staff member
With all do respect I think you may be over complicating it just a smidge. Since balancing a rod has nothing to do with catching steelhead you other guys dont have shit on me here.
What I do know is that a rod is not going to blow up on you if its a little nose or tail heavy. I have casted many different rods at different balance points and they casted. Exceptionally well actually.
First he's talking trout not steelhead. So that's a moot point.

Second, balancing is a big deal to those of us who fish a lot, including if you have physical limitations. Like myself with a permanent shoulder injury. Even in wind, a proper balance makes the rod easier to swing. I have a two handed salmon rod I picked up in Scotland back in 1987. It's a greenhart. I tried putting a bigger 4+" wide jw young reel in it with a DT salmon line. Was a bear to cast, still very tip heavy. I'm a strong guy, and still was rough. Picked up a big old wooden and brass fly reel (about a 6") and changed dynamic of casting it. It's actually the accurate reel for it. But if balancing the rod makes you want to fish rod more, then ups your chance to catch fish. Since the more you use it the more it ups your chances to catch fish. Not a guaranty, but you have zero chance with fly out of water.

Onto reels, I'm surprised the Lamson 3.5 is off. My son and I are using the Liquid 3.5 on our Echo 4wt speys and balances perfectly.

I too love click reels for all my two handed rods.

On my 11' 4wt trout spey, I use a Hardy Marquis 8/9 reel.

I haven't weighed the reel but it balances nicely and holds a 275-300gr scandi, 20lb ridge running line and backing.

Latest posts