Mini Mags or SSTs?

Jim Wheeler

Full time single dad and pram builder
The difference is that the Cataract oar is a filament wound procedure over a mandrel which is pulled out after the resin is cured and the blade is plastic. The Sawyer is a triaxial braided fiberglass/aramid fabric (woven like Chinese finger torture, remember as a kid?) and is laid up over a shaft which remains as part of the oar. The difference in performance is huge with the Sawyer being probably 30% stronger and 40% more flexible which was the whole idea behind the desing and lay-up schedule. Add a ferrule? You give back about 15% of the flex.

Jim Wheeler

Probably not. Monitor is in the path of the Sleepy Hollow fire. Also, the town of Wenatchee is on fire. Hope Freestone is ok.

CLO

Future WFF Mod
FYI- The NFO oars by Dave Scadden are Carlisle Economy oars and not rated for whitewater. I'm not sure how he can get away with that shit.

Back to the topic, I really like the mini mag oars.

Thanks for all the advice guys, and I was very disappointed with those oars. I even explained I was going to be fishing Washington coastal rivers, and he sold me those aluminum shafts. I guess I should have researched more, but it was my first raft/oar purchase. I should have my frame set up this week. Looking forward to getting back out on the water.

BDD

FYI- The NFO oars by Dave Scadden are Carlisle Economy oars and not rated for whitewater. I'm not sure how he can get away with that shit.
Because people keep buying his stuff.

We used Carlisle economy oars for our smallest 9' lake boats in the beginning for about a year. I couldn't justify selling a $220 set of oars for a $1200 boat package. Apparently nobody else did either because every major manufacture used a similar product for their boats. Then I realized that by using a cheap component to your package, you "cheapified" the entire package. We then started using Cataract Mini Mag oars on all our packages. Yeah, the profit margin is not as good compared to cheap aluminum oars, but to me, our image of using quality products at reasonable prices was more important than the profit margin.

Jim Wheeler

I'm alright so far but was/is a little close for comfort! If the wind changes though, I could be screwed.
Glad to hear it. Watched it from the fires we were on and then got home and REALLY figured out where it was and had one of those "OH SHIT" moments. Things look to be calming down a lot now. Now is the tough part....the recovery

chrome/22

For him there whould always be the riddle of steel
The difference is that the Cataract oar is a filament wound procedure over a mandrel which is pulled out after the resin is cured and the blade is plastic. The Sawyer is a triaxial braided fiberglass/aramid fabric (woven like Chinese finger torture, remember as a kid?) and is laid up over a shaft which remains as part of the oar. The difference in performance is huge with the Sawyer being probably 30% stronger and 40% more flexible which was the whole idea behind the desing and lay-up schedule. Add a ferrule? You give back about 15% of the flex.
Dude.

Ed Call

FWIW, i drilled three of my mini-mags for my frameless boat. They were single piece and ferruled. They work perfectly where they belong. If im going in bigger water im in my framed boat with bigger oars. Had the Sawyer on another boat, loved them too. Have sawyers on my big boat now but had cataracts before.

Bruce Bergstrom and I developed the SST and it is......WAS the best oar out there. Now, with Bruce gone? Not so sure. Getting them might be an issue as Sawyer is having some difficulties. So, if you can get them, SST's, if not? Mini Mags are a good but a little distant second choice.

Jim Wheeler
Spring Creek Prams
Jim I have a couple questions for you and want to buy some items from you it think. I just bought one of your boats that was used, the guy passed away so now I have it. I have a question about a wiring kit to extend the trolling motor wiring. And a question about oar locks

Latest posts