Carping in a little "W"

Buzzy

I left the house Friday morning, it was almost 90 degrees by 9:00 am, flat calm, no clouds. A very good thing for carpin' on the "flats". Soap Lake, Lenore, Alkalai, Blue and Park Lakes all flat, mirror like. So was I surprised to see Banks Lake white capping? Yes. But not really. After all, this is Grant County and the wind knows how to blow.

I'd swapped lines on my favorite Banks Lake carping outfit so I substituted an 8-weight with a fighting butt, later I'd be grateful for that.

It's funny how some days there are carp everywhere on the lake and on other days they just aren't around in numbers. Because of the "W" I think they may be nervous in the shallows with all the wave noise, just a guess. I started out fishing a yellow carp candy; my last outing the carp had jumped on it and so had the smallies. How many casts where fish spook, when there aren't a lot of fish around, does it take me to figure out I need to change flies? Too many blown chances. I changed up to an olive variation of the carp candy and that immediately resulted in a big smallmouth that very much wanted nothing to do with being landed. I was glad to have the bigger flyrod. After one more smallmouth I found a carp that was very busy rooting around in the silty gravel. I waded out till I was about 40 or so feet away and dropped the fly a few feet beyond the fish and pulled the fly towards the carp. I could see his tail change direction so I lifted and was into a big fish that took off for the middle of the lake minus my fly.

A bit further down the shoreline (beach sounds nice, eh?), I saw another rooter facing away from me and managed another good cast and saw the fish eat. This time I stuck him and the hook stayed in place. A smile may have appeared on my wrinkled old face. Although the fish didn't take me into backing, he made several strong runs and the fighting butt helped me handle the fish. Not a big fish but a strong fish regardless.

DSCF0443.JPG

Let's see, it is a fine sunny Sunday morning, there's only a slight breeze here in town. The fly rod is is right next to my desk............

speyfisher

"Prey does not move towards the predator" Lefty Kreh An unnatural movement, will spook a fish every time. If you overshoot your target, let the fly rest and hope the fish sees it, rather than stripping the fly towards him. Never more than a very slight amount of movement, just enough to stir up a little puff of mud to attract the fish's attention. Nice fish btw.

"Prey does not move towards the predator" Lefty Kreh An unnatural movement, will spook a fish every time. If you overshoot your target, let the fly rest and hope the fish sees it, rather than stripping the fly towards him. Never more than a very slight amount of movement, just enough to stir up a little puff of mud to attract the fish's attention. Nice fish btw.
Pulling the fly straight at them=no fish. Pulling the fly across the fishes line of vision at a ninety degree angle to the fish=lotsa eats.

Latest posts