10mm

JasonG

I'm interested in picking up a 10mm probably a glock 20. I have been carrying a smith and wesson 340, 357. It's a super light gun but it is so light the recoil is too snappy for great follow-up shots. Anybody have any advice on the 10mms. Thanks Jason

Jim Ficklin

Genuine Montana Fossil
Never owned or shot a 10 mm, but a lot of law enforcement agencies adopted the 10 when it first came out, and then just as quickly abandoned that caliber as it is characterized by fairly stout recoil. If your desire is for quick follow-up shots, maybe you should consider a 9 mm or .380 in an appropriately-proportioned handgun (read: good size & weight characteristics.). My most effective & efficient double-tap handgun is a CZ75B that I customized & modified from double-action/single-action to single-action only. The new trigger, sear, & hammer are as smooth as silk, but the piece is a bit on the heavy side for daily carry. That duty falls to a delightful-to-point & carry Walther PPK/S.

ribka

I have the Glock 20. I also own 19, 22 and 27, sig, ruger, CZ and Sig and Kahr's.. Glock makes a very good semi-auto handgun. So does Sig, CZ, Kahr, Springfield and the new S&W. Can't speak for Walther but hear god things. Of course the 1911 is an entirely different discussion.

10 mm has quite a bit more recoil than a 9 or 40 though. What is your intended use?

JasonG

I have the Glock 20. I also own 19, 22 and 27, sig, ruger, CZ and Sig and Kahr's.. Glock makes a very good semi-auto handgun. So does Sig, CZ, Kahr, Springfield and the new S&W. Can't speak for Walther but hear god things. Of course the 1911 is an entirely different discussion.

10 mm has quite a bit more recoil than a 9 or 40 though. What is your intended use?
To use for hiking protection,Mostly two legged critters, but have enough gun for four legged critters as well.

zen leecher aka bill w

born to work, forced to fish
I've got a full sized Glock in .40 S&W and for a plinking gun it's a bit snappy. You will find the 10mm to be even more so. I suspect if I was shooting more than just targets with the .40 S&W I'd say it doesn't flip at all and stays right on target.

Alex MacDonald

that's His Lordship, to you.....
No pistol is worth shit if you can't hit what you aim at with the first shot. And if you can hit what you aim at with the first round, you don't need a second. Get the one that fits your hand the best: the one that makes you feel like you're pointing your index finger at the target, and the one that won't shift around somewhat in your hand. Then get it in .40. Also spend the $$ and get a stud-activated laser sight, the one when you press the stud, fires the laser. That's a huge help in practicing.

Most 4-legged varmints are pretty fragile, with the exception of bears. Really BIG BEARS! For them, all 14 rounds come out of my Sig P226. Then I use the bear spray For the tweaker brigade, only one's required-the one that goes just above the bridge of the nose. With a .40 flat nose 180gr, it's gonna be a closed-casket funeral. And when you train, remember that slow is smooth: smooth is quick. and you know what quick is.......

Unless I'm carrying for bear protection, there's no reason why I'd carry that much blaster and loose the controllability and capacity of something like a 9mm with quality hollow points. The 10mm is a great big scary critter defense weapon, but not worth it for people protection.

I love my G20. I don't find the recoil that bad. With standard target rounds I can dump a full mag on target almost as quickly as a 9mm. With full power ammo it's more stout but still very manageable. It's been fired by a couple of people who don't have a lot of pistol experience and neither of them (one guy, one chick) complained about the recoil.
I've fired ultralight .357s and they are punishing. Recoil from my 10mm isn't even close to that.

I had a Glock 20 for years, loved it. It shot any ammo well, including the Double Tap bear loads. Never had to shoot anything organic with it, but a few close bear encounters and momma moose encounters too close, made me glad I had it. I found recoil not that bad, but I practice a lot. It was stolen and I replaced it with a Glock 20 SF, which has a slightly smaller grip/frame - it fits my hands better then the regular Glock 20, which has a big grip. One thing that is common with these: with the squarish trigger guard and sharp edges, your right middle finger may get hammered a bit from recoil while shooting (if you shoot right handed - I assume the opposite hand if a lefty)). I solved this by rounding off the right rear portion of the trigger guard edge with fine sandpaper and the problem went away (I was surprised how easy and effective this was). Sometimes my finger would ache for a week after a long shooting session!

When I am in none grizzly country I use Hornady 155 XTP factory loads for black bears or two legged beast. In big bear country I shoot the hard cast Double Tap ammo.

Other stuff - if you shoot a lot of hard cast stuff, everybody will recommend buying an aftermarket barrel with 'regular' rifling versus the glock rifling, which can get fouled - google that issue and you'll see a ton of stuff about it. You can also upgrade the springs with Wolff springs - I have those and see no difference with mine. I clean the barrel a lot or shoot jacketed bullets after shooting the hard cast bullets and have had no issues with the factory barrel. Maybe some of the other guys here have opinions on this.

My favorite hiking holster for the glock is a El Paso Saddlery 1942 tanker style chest holster - it works great in the woods and can wear a pack over it.

Roper

Idiot Savant
Can't speak to a G20, but my Delta Elite had quite a kick. Even with the double recoil spring...:eek:

A .45 suits me better for whatever reason...

JasonG

I had a Glock 20 for years, loved it. It shot any ammo well, including the Double Tap bear loads. Never had to shoot anything organic with it, but a few close bear encounters and momma moose encounters too close, made me glad I had it. I found recoil not that bad, but I practice a lot. It was stolen and I replaced it with a Glock 20 SF, which has a slightly smaller grip/frame - it fits my hands better then the regular Glock 20, which has a big grip. One thing that is common with these: with the squarish trigger guard and sharp edges, your right middle finger may get hammered a bit from recoil while shooting (if you shoot right handed - I assume the opposite hand if a lefty)). I solved this by rounding off the right rear portion of the trigger guard edge with fine sandpaper and the problem went away (I was surprised how easy and effective this was). Sometimes my finger would ache for a week after a long shooting session!

When I am in none grizzly country I use Hornady 155 XTP factory loads for black bears or two legged beast. In big bear country I shoot the hard cast Double Tap ammo.

Other stuff - if you shoot a lot of hard cast stuff, everybody will recommend buying an aftermarket barrel with 'regular' rifling versus the glock rifling, which can get fouled - google that issue and you'll see a ton of stuff about it. You can also upgrade the springs with Wolff springs - I have those and see no difference with mine. I clean the barrel a lot or shoot jacketed bullets after shooting the hard cast bullets and have had no issues with the factory barrel. Maybe some of the other guys here have opinions on this.

My favorite hiking holster for the glock is a El Paso Saddlery 1942 tanker style chest holster - it works great in the woods and can wear a pack over it.
Thank you for the info. I'm going to look into the sf.

Latest posts