What is your perfect fiberglass steelhead rod

Wondering what you have or maybe would want as your perfect fiberglass steelhead rod. I am looking more as a single hander. One summer rod and one winter unless you use one for both. Either can be old school or new age fiberglass.

I love the Fenwick FF108, now just picking up an Orvis 8 1/2 9wt. Remember back in the day fishing steelhead with my dads Cortland 8 1/2 7wt and my Berkley Cherrywood 8' 7wt for all the time. Floating for summer and full fast sinking line for winter. I love going back to those times.

William

For me, it depends on the day....ha! But, day in and day out, my Steffen 8'6" 7/8wt just flat out gets it done. I also really enjoy fishing my Fisher 8'6" 7wt, which is a little slower, but has loads of backbone deep into the butt. My latest 7wt, the Blue Halo 8'6" is really enjoyable as well. It appears to have plenty of backbone once it gets bent deep, but I've only put two Steelhead on it so far, neither of which really tested it too much as they were in the 5-6 lb range. Bottom line though, it's the Steffen all the way...

Hal Eckert

Well have not used glass for steelhead since 1981, but am now considering the new Echo glass switch rod to add to the spey quiver. anyone had any experience with the 6 or 7 wgt switches yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

David Loy

Senior Moment
Don't have a lot to compare to, but the FF857 xure slings the OBS 6wt line well. It's probably more like a 7.5 or 8wt line, and handles tips well. Throw a Pflueger 1595 on it and you've got a lot for a little.
All I got.

Wondering what you have or maybe would want as your perfect fiberglass steelhead rod. I am looking more as a single hander. One summer rod and one winter unless you use one for both. Either can be old school or new age fiberglass.

I love the Fenwick FF108, now just picking up an Orvis 8 1/2 9wt. Remember back in the day fishing steelhead with my dads Cortland 8 1/2 7wt and my Berkley Cherrywood 8' 7wt for all the time. Floating for summer and full fast sinking line for winter. I love going back to those times.

William
For winter steelhead - Fenwick FF 909, I really like the extended fighting butt.

john gates

Vw Bus driving(68) God Fearing Adventure Seeker
I fish an ff85 for steel summer and winter. I have steelhead glass for sale William i can send you a list of my 8wts and up. All vintage and 100% fiahable. The 9'3 model comes with factory fighting butt how cool is that!

tonemike

fish'n glass
Though I don't chase steelhead too frequently, i sure love my SA System 7 (after adding a fighting butt) for good-sized Alaskan trout and Sockeye. It likes a 7 or 8wt line and is a very fine fishing tool. I'm a big fan of most Fisher blanks I've tried and the System series is no exception! I've sold off my System 8 and 10 rods, but keep the stout System 11 for Chum Salmon. It fishes nicely with 8-11 wt lines IMO.

Porter

Berkley Cherrywood 8' 6" ....7/8 weight 2 piece, (early 1980's) with dark red maroonish colored reel seat screw down , 6.5" cork. Awesome rod that can fling a line and make a 12" inch trout feel big time but has the balls to deal with the biggies. Came with a decent Japanese made click and pawl fly reel too.

David Loy

Senior Moment
Jack
Pity you no longer have a FF857. You really should find one. If only you had something to trade, like a FF70. (I could throw in a cup of coffee.):rolleyes:

edit: I might end up liking my new Epic Bandit for winter steel. At first I was a little bit concerned about the length (its 7'9"), but after fishing it on the jetty and for Chinook on an Oregon coastal estuary, it might be even better (and more versatile) than originally thought. I've been playing around with different lines, and it casts anything from a 7wt line (lowest I tried) up to a 375gr shooting head and was sweet as hell with each of those. I have no doubt it could handle lines both under and over those. Being that it's a shorter (it'll hurt me a little in the mending department, but I don't care), it weighs less, has a lower swing weight (imo, more important than actual weight), handles like a 6 or 7wt, with the backbone of a 10wt....oh, it's also a freakin' hand cannon.

Cheers,
Randy

tonemike

fish'n glass
edit: I might end up liking my new Epic Bandit for winter steel. At first I was a little bit concerned about the length (its 7'9"), but after fishing it on the jetty and for Chinook on an Oregon coastal estuary, it might be even better (and more versatile) than originally thought. I've been playing around with different lines, and it casts anything from a 7wt line (lowest I tried) up to a 375gr shooting head and was sweet as hell with each of those. I have no doubt it could handle lines both under and over those. Being that it's a shorter (it'll hurt me a little in the mending department, but I don't care), it weighs less, has a lower swing weight (imo, more important than actual weight), handles like a 6 or 7wt, with the backbone of a 10wt....oh, it's also a freakin' hand cannon.

Cheers,
Randy
Sounds like a really interesting fly rod!!

Latest posts