Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

DIY Smoker?

2K views 15 replies 14 participants last post by  SilverFly 
#1 ·
OK I'm cheep... Has anyone come up with a decent way to smoke salmon without spending big bucks on a store bought smoker? Im talking 1 maybe 2 fish max...

#15 ·
I've got 2 Big Chiefs and they work fine, but I hate digging them out of the shed, setting them up, and making my deck look even more ******* when in use. So I'm looking build a large, semi-permanent one using this set up when I expand the deck next summer. It'll have to be "presentable" to keep the wife happy though. Think I can pull that off by sheathing the plywood in some clear grain red cedar siding I've had since I cleaned out my Dad's shop a few years ago.

If it works like I hope, the Big Chiefs will be up for sale or trade - cheap.

#10 ·
The file cabinet is a cool and cheap way to go. A friend sent me a link to it. Super easy and cheap to make.

#12 ·
you probably spent more the day you went out fishing than what it cost for a little chief or big chief smoker. You'll waste more time coming up with something less effective. Sack it up. Plus they last forever. Smoke your steaks, whole chicken, jerky and what not in there besides your fish. Smoking a whole chicken for about an hour before you put it in the oven is the bomb.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.