Cedar River fish passage

wetline dave

It has been a few years now since the fish passage above the dam on the Cedar River has been implemented, an auger type of device.

I have not seen it but wonder if anyone here has witnessed the "auger" in action? I read some initial reports and it seemed as I read the system was working.

If it does work then why couldn't a similar device be constructed on say the Cowlitz and the Green to move fish up into upper river spawning areas. I don't know if such a system would be practical on the higher dams on the Columbia but how good would it be if it could be done.

In that many of the existing dams will never be removed, to obtain a way to get fish above these barriers that did not allow for fish passage at the time of construction seems to be a worthwhile project.

Dave

Salmo_g

WFF Supporter
WD,

There are several ways to pass fish upstream around dams and barriers that work well. Picking the alternative that is the best application for a specific situation isn't nearly as difficult as coming up with the funding to do it. 90% of the fish passage difficulty is passing juvenile fish downstream in a manner that is safe, timely, and effective. And downstream passage that works is usually much more expensive than upstream passage. It's usually about the $$.

Sg

wetline dave

Salmo,

Agreed money is always the issue. I believe the city of Seattle provided much of the funding on the Cedar to move Kings up river. How the juveniles get down stream I have no idea. It would seem to me something as simple as a water slide would do the trick, one on either end of the dam, as I assume most juveniles travel the rivers edge.

There has to be a simple way to get juveniles down river. The biggest problem as I see it is that engineers seldom look for the simple. If there aren't several design studies, feasibility studies and who knows how many other studies then development engineers don't want to play. The higher the end cost to implement the more money they make.

Dave

Salmo_g

WFF Supporter
Dave,

I was writing generally, not specifically. Downstream passage on the Cedar at Landsburg isn't much of an issue other than having a good fish screen for the water diversion intake because Landsburg isn't much of a dam. Downstream passage is the far bigger issue at hydropower dams and Corps flood control dams like Howard Hanson and Mud Mountain.

In my experience engineers do look for the simple. Early on, the problem was that they looked for the simple and the cheap and not at whether an alternative works effectively or not. And most didn't. Today we look first at what works effectively and then try to do that in the simplest and lowest cost way that we can. And that is seldom the simplest or cheapest to get something that actually works well.

Sg

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts