Munn Lake

Nice. Those big crappie are a bonus.

Managing for trout means using rotenone regularly (like every 10 years) to kill off the competing species. Just saw that Williams and Badger in Spokane Co. are going to be nuked later this fall (might want to mark your calendars - those lakes should be very good in 2017-2018). I would suspect lakes with significant home development (Home Owners Assoc) would throw a fit if WDFW put them on notice of poisoning out the fish in their back yards. Competing priorities.

Last edited:
Munn is gonna end up getting hit really hard soon. They are building up that area pretty fast. Lostcreeker did you drive all the way from Woodinville to fish Munn, or are you a local now? I only ask cause I live in Lacey, come mid-October gotta get back from Korea first, and I am always out on local water. Munn Lake is a pretty good lake, but I am sure the higher than normal temps this year has done a number on the hold overs this year.

Munn is gonna end up getting hit really hard soon. They are building up that area pretty fast. Lostcreeker did you drive all the way from Woodinville to fish Munn, or are you a local now? I only ask cause I live in Lacey, come mid-October gotta get back from Korea first, and I am always out on local water. Munn Lake is a pretty good lake, but I am sure the higher than normal temps this year has done a number on the hold overs this year.
I fished it on the way home from Portland as a way to miss the rush hour traffic. It's a very convenient lake from I-5.

Jim Mcallister

AKA stillwater guy
WDFG usually does a fall planting , sometime end of Oct or Nov. Larry Phillips at fish and game could tell you about when.Or try to contact someone with south sound fly fishers for info.

Fished Munn Lake yesterday, 9/16, from 5-7 PM. Water very low, of course, 66 degrees and no sign of any trout. Did manage an obscene number of bluegills and 6 crappie 10 to 14 inches. As one of the few C&R lakes on the westside, it would be nice if Munn were better managed for trout fishing.
[]
In fact, Munn is managed quite carefully. The water is cooling off now, but on August 19, I measured it at 87.8 degrees at the boat ramp. Hold over trout were on the bottom likely sucking what little cool spring inflow was available, as the water level is about 4 feet under peak. Stocking more trout would have been disastrous this summer.

I spoke with the local bio yesterday, and they plan to do a complete survey of Munn next week to measure temperatures and oxygen levels throughout the column before fall stocking.

The lake will be stocked with fish selected by size groups, paid for by "The Friends of Munn Lake" a group that donates money (tax deductible) to WDFW to grow larger trout for the fishery. They work through South Sound Fly Fishers to control donations and to post daily catch records on size and condition of all species caught directly to the desk of the regional biologist. You are encouraged to complete these reports to aid in management decisions at SSFF website: www.southsoundflyfishers.org.

If you want to know more, including how to start a similar program in your area, there is a presentation that I give to clubs and shops about the history of Munn.

I am the liaison between the club and DFW, so if you have suggestions for managing trout better, please get in touch with me, this is a work in progress.

Donations can be made to

"The Friends of Munn Lake
South Sound Fly Fishers
PO Box 2792
Olympia, WA 98507

Say hi if you see me at Munn
munnfish2.jpg
on the lake.

I cannot wait to get home!!!!!!!!! My Korea tour ends 08 October. A little work to be done in Las Cruces NM for two weeks and then I will be stationed back at Fort Lewis!!! I love this little lake and cannot wait to fish it this year. Thank for all you and your growl do Mr. Freeman.

Jim Mcallister

AKA stillwater guy
Glad you posted Don I thought of putting your name on there but I didnt want to put your name on with out your permission. All of you that fish Munn should thank Don as he was instramental in what we have at Munn .This will be a great fishery till next summer.If some of you are local and would like to know more about south sound fly fishers, go to the website on Dons post and find out more about our club.We are not abunch of snooty old farts.

Lue Taylor

Lue Taylor/dbfly
In fact, Munn is managed quite carefully. The water is cooling off now, but on August 19, I measured it at 87.8 degrees at the boat ramp. Hold over trout were on the bottom likely sucking what little cool spring inflow was available, as the water level is about 4 feet under peak. Stocking more trout would have been disastrous this summer.

I spoke with the local bio yesterday, and they plan to do a complete survey of Munn next week to measure temperatures and oxygen levels throughout the column before fall stocking.

The lake will be stocked with fish selected by size groups, paid for by "The Friends of Munn Lake" a group that donates money (tax deductible) to WDFW to grow larger trout for the fishery. They work through South Sound Fly Fishers to control donations and to post daily catch records on size and condition of all species caught directly to the desk of the regional biologist. You are encouraged to complete these reports to aid in management decisions at SSFF website: www.southsoundflyfishers.org.

If you want to know more, including how to start a similar program in your area, there is a presentation that I give to clubs and shops about the history of Munn.

I am the liaison between the club and DFW, so if you have suggestions for managing trout better, please get in touch with me, this is a work in progress.

Donations can be made to

"The Friends of Munn Lake
South Sound Fly Fishers
PO Box 2792
Olympia, WA 98507

Say hi if you see me at Munn View attachment 104830 on the lake.
Don what happen to the fish like that? The last time there all we caught was Blue Gills, there was schools of hundreds of Gills all over the lake surfacing my one friend caught over 50 in 2 hours

Don what happen to the fish like that? The last time there all we caught was Blue Gills, there was schools of hundreds of Gills all over the lake surfacing my one friend caught over 50 in 2 hours
You mean the hold over trout? Most die. The deepest part of the lake is only about 20' when it's full. We've had pretty good survival over wet years, which this wasn't. James is asking the warm water bio to do a survey on Munn to find out what the spiny fish populations are doing compared to historical counts.

Not sure I've answered your question though.

Sounds like Munn has a support system that is working. Local funding for large trout to be stocked in the lake and a local bio who is willing to survey. That's a fine work-around to the spiny ray problem.

While it would be fantastic to see that level of support on everyone's favorite lake, that obviously can't happen. My earlier suggestion about using rotenone to control what type of fish live in the lake speaks to a more general approach. By wiping the lake out and starting with only trout, the conditions are set for potentially hosting a trout population that grows from fry plants. Some would say that is the more desirable scenario.

Latest posts