Munn Lake

Sounds like Munn has a support system that is working. Local funding for large trout to be stocked in the lake and a local bio who is willing to survey. That's a fine work-around to the spiny ray problem.

While it would be fantastic to see that level of support on everyone's favorite lake, that obviously can't happen. My earlier suggestion about using rotenone to control what type of fish live in the lake speaks to a more general approach. By wiping the lake out and starting with only trout, the conditions are set for potentially hosting a trout population that grows from fry plants. Some would say that is the more desirable scenario.
Not much success around here planting from fry. Many of the lakes are quite shallow and get very warm. In the early days of re-inventing Munn, a big lot of brown trout fry were stocked, and while one is still caught on occasion, they did not thrive. What we have to do here is monitor population for carrying capacity and optimum recreation density. The state continues to support the fishery, but the quality component derives from volunteer contributions. One of the unexpected benefits has been economic, as the lake is only re-stocked when fish become scarce and conditions allow.

went to Munn for the first time with a buddy last weekend. Had great luck hooked onto 3 trout one that had to have been 3 plus pounds. All were caught on a #10 peacock Carey near the launch side of the lake! Good to see there are still some carry-overs left.

Attachments

Anybody have a report from today? Passed by around 2ish and saw a boat or two on the water. My boat counting might be a skosh off though...
No one should have to work within plain view of others fishing on a warm sunny winter's day. Absolute TORTURE!!! Adding this to my list of legitimate first world problems

Anybody have a report from today? Passed by around 2ish and saw a boat or two on the water. My boat counting might be a skosh off though...
No one should have to work within plain view of others fishing on a warm sunny winter's day. Absolute TORTURE!!! Adding this to my list of legitimate first world problems
PM sent

Latest posts