Medalist 1492! Show and Tell/Questions

Jeff Dodd

My wife picked me an old 1492 at a Capitol Hill thrift shop this week. Yes!

I can't wait to try it out.

The last owner etched WF5F on the spool. Can this little reel even hold a wf5F? Maybe it's been chopped?

I will first pair it with a 7.5' Fiberglass rod. Expect it will be kinda small and light though. ?

I am looking for help on how to utilize this reel, what lines fit? should I order a OneP Foot?

Thank you

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Last edited:

hbmcc

Here is what I found From Kiene's Fly Shop:

1492: #2-3 line (click drag)
  • 1492 1/2: #3-4 line (click drag)
  • 1494: #4-5 line (adjustable disc drag from here down)
  • 1494 1/2: #5-6 line
  • 1495: #6-7 line (my favorite size)
  • 1495 1/2: #8-9 line
  • 1496: not many around
  • 1496 1/2: fairly rare
  • 1498: #10-12 line
---------------
I have Battenkill Is for my little rods; 14# Spider Wire for backing. My Medalists are all big. Even Sal-Trouts will max out with WF6F and about 50 yards of backing. I like 'em!

What line weight is your fiberglass rod? If that Pflueger foot fits, why spend $ for another foot? That P-foot probably costs more than the reel.....Go fish!

Last edited:

Jeff Dodd

What line weight is you fiberglass rod? If that Pflueger foot fits, why spend $ for another foot? That P-foot probably costs more than the reel.....Go fish!
Good advice Steve. The foot does appear to fit the 7.5' 5wt fiberglass. It is a little small and the balance is not perfect, but I have to fish it to know for sure.

I replaced the Dacron backing with and decided to put the mystery line back on, there was plenty of room for that line.

(BigDave)

The 1492 is odd because it has sculpted pillars much later than the other models. But it dates to at least the early 60's if not earlier.. Nice find.

Bjorn

I have had one ever since.................A WF5F line fills it nicely. I pair it with a 7.5' 5 WT rod. Works great! I even have a spare spool. My grandchildren may be fishing these reels-they are indestructible. I have it's big brother too.

Jeff,

There are a couple of things you can do. How much backing do you really need? Probably no more than 50 yrds max and depending on what you use it for even less. Spool on 50 yrds of backing and then your fly line. If the spool is over filled measure how much fly line is not on the spool. If 20 feet or less, if it is a 90 foot line then cut what is needed off the end of the running line.
That will still give you 70 or so feet of fly line.

If this is going to be a small creek rod you don't even need 70 feet of fly line, nor 50yrds of backing. Even for most trout fishing 70 feet of fly line is all you really need . Sure throwing 90 feet of line is cool but not really the most effective way to fish for trout.

Dave

Jeff Dodd

I have had one ever since.................A WF5F line fills it nicely. I pair it with a 7.5' 5 WT rod. Works great! I even have a spare spool. My grandchildren may be fishing these reels-they are indestructible. I have it's big brother too.
Thanks Bjorn - the WT rod, is this a Winston fiberglass rod? I have a 7.5 Scott 70's fiberglass rod that I found the reel is a bit light for.

I am considering the purchase of a Cabelas CGR fiberglass rod, but not sure the feet will fit under the reel seat rings. Also not certain what weight rod to buy for this reel.

Thank you

Latest posts