Swap Flatwings!

Pat Lat

Mad Flyentist
I'd like to do a smaller group of tyers 6ish and have everyone get two (edit: one) flies from each tyer.

Either tie two different color variations, or different patterns altogether.

Any materials you want to use for the body or eyes are fine, but all they flies should fit the typical flatwing profile so that they swim correctly. If you are not familiar with this, look up Ken Abrames patterns.

Basically a tail of bucktail, flash and hackles that are seperated by "pillows" of dubbing or feather fluff, tied to the rear of the shank. The pillows make space between the feathers which allows them to move and breath with a more lifelike quality.
The middle of the shank is typically diamond or flat braid, kindof like an intruder, then more bucktail and various toppings/eyes to finish.

These are not always easy ties, and can take a bit of practice to get right so please take your time.
Due date will be determined once the roster is full.

1. Pat Lat
2. Chris Johnson
3. James St. Clair
4. Kelvin
5. Brendan
6. Stuart stringer

Last edited:

Pat Lat

Mad Flyentist
So if there are six people, each person would tie 5 flies (not 6 because you don't tie for yourself). Then each person would receive 5 newpatterns

Gets confusing sorting all that out in the end, but as long as they're toe tagged its fine.

Last edited:
I think I am down for this. I haven't tied flatwings before, but read a couple articles and watched a couple video's on it last night. I think I can handle a single feather flat wing in 2 different colors if that is OK. I will probably order Abrames book too, the Perfect Illusion one. This will be a good excuse to get a new fly tying book.

Just out of curiosity, has anyone fished these for SRC's? I am heading to Seattle over Thanksgiving, and haven't done beach fishing since 1999, but was thinking about hitting up a couple of my old haunts. Will be staying in West Seattle with my bro and sis in-law, and I used to fish Lincoln Park quite a bit with decent success. I literally have zero SRC flies anymore, so I will probably tie a few extra swap flies for myself in the case that the due date isn't until later.

Anyways, count me in if you are cool with a flatwing noob. Not a new tyer, just with flatwings.

Pat Lat

Mad Flyentist
I think that book is a couple hundred dollars now if you can find it. I believe its out of print.

I fish a lot of flatwings for cutthroat, but not really at LP.

I'll put you on the list

20151109_211334.jpg
Messed around with a couple tonight, just to check out the techniques. I think they turned out alright, but would appreciate any critique.

I also realized I didn't have any jungle cock, so I can order some if that is important for everyone. For now I substituted stick on molded eyes and loon uv cure.

I only have a red and yellow saddle suitable for these until my olive and golden olive grizzly show up, so I was a little limited on color for the wing.

How important is it to use flash and bucktail only? Are synthetics appropriate at all?

I watched a you tube on multi wing, so I might give those a try when the other saddles show up.

Anyways, I will come up with something better for the swap, was just looking for any critiques or any obvious errors I made so I can adjust for the swap flies.

Pat Lat

Mad Flyentist
Beautiful tie Kelvin,
I was gonna set it for january sometime. If two patterns is too much for some we can all just do one.
With six people that's only five flies each.
I'm gonna do something for steelhead i think.

I'll put you on the list

kelvin

Beautiful tie Kelvin,
I was gonna set it for january sometime. If two patterns is too much for some we can all just do one.
With six people that's only five flies each.
I'm gonna do something for steelhead i think.

I'll put you on the list
lets do 1 fly

Latest posts