Sage 9140-4

My first two hander was the early 9140-4 with the reel seat mounted half way up the grip. I was told everyone in the PNW used a windcutter 9/10/11 tips line, so that was what I started using. It wasn't long before I bought into the shooting & stripping is bad argument and being too cheap to invest in a whole new line, I convinced someone at Rio to sell me a 30ft long replacement for the (the mid section) tip #2 which would make my windcutter a 70 ft head. One day, out of curiosty, I looped both mid sections onto that line and guess what? I was able to single spey the whole thing! A couple weeks later, I had the opportunity of casting a 7/8/9 windcutter on that rod. It felt good too.

Those were the early years though. Tradition still reigned supreme among the two hand community. Outside of Skagit country, that style was vitually unheard of, much less understood or accepted as a means to an end.

I had Sage make a new but section for that rod. I don't think it has ever been fished. By that time I had moved on to the 8150, the 9150. The old 9140, with the original butt section, sporting a period Phleugar reel, now graces the wall of the great room.

Last edited:
Bob, not trying to hijack this thread but I'm also hoping for some clarification on this rod as I'm considering a purchase. I'm looking at a GFL 9140-4. Is this the same or similar rod you are referring to? If not, insights on the differences? Seems like there were a few different versions of this brownie. Thanks!

I don't want to get to far off the rails, but I have Sage 9140-4, green in color. Can one of you folks explain what is the difference is between the brown and green versions of this rod? Are lines pretty much the same for both rods? I pretty much gave up on the rod years back trying to cast a SA XLT line. Thanks this discussion as been very informative.

inland

Bob,

I fish mine from time to time and have found the newer shooting heads fly on the rod. Beulah aerohead 8/9 for a floater. Nextcast 45' 7/8 for a short floater and with sink tips. If you want more load run the 8/9. Cast the rod off the reel seat and it performs quite well.

I have the greenie in a 6 wt., 3 pc. I had a heck of a time finding the correct line for it to a point where I got rid of it; then realized it was a big mistake. Lucky for me, I found another after three years. They are the European model and I characterize them as being a bit to far slower. I took the same line I use on a Method 6 wt. and then made sure my casts were much slower in motion... I mean almost slow motion and it seems to cast far better. I don't know if that's helpful but it works for me. I do use the method far more often, however.

Bob,
I'm fishing the 9140 greenie this season. Getting back in touch. The lines I have used are as follows: Delta 9/10 multi tip, Airflo PNW 540 skagit, 600 skagit compact. Each of these lines I have worked out how to cast with the rod. Once I learned what to do, the rod performed very well. Most people liked the 8/9 Delta better, but I started with the 9/10 and just learned how to cast it with the rod (t&g casts). The Airflo PNW skagit was my entry into the skagit world, and the rod can really rock with that line. The 600 compact works well; and to me, is far from overloading the rod. A long time ago someone at Sage said that the old Rio 650 skagit w/o the cheater was a great match. I would really like to put on a 630+ grain compact on it and see how it performs. The other lines I would like to try are the Nextcast lines as I'm getting out of throwing big intruders and fishing more blind eye speys. Also want to do more touch and go casting. I personally love this rod. A lot of people say it has no power, but I disagree. The thing is a cannon. And it has soul. The only thing I've had to adjust to is the weight (I've been fishing a 11' 7wt switch), but I adjusted to the rod in a couple of days.
As far as the differences in 9140's, a lot has been written about these rods; but as far as I know, The 9140-4 greenie, and the tiger eyed colored blanks are the same. Both are made with III-e graphite and I don't think the taper was changed. Prior to that I believe it was graphite III rods, and before that I couldn't tell you except the 3 piece 914o is a totally different animal and has become one of those legendary rods.
I built my 9140, and so I don't have the hardware problems that some people have complained about. It's got a great handle that Kerry Burkheimer turned for me, great guides and reel seat. I've had the three top sections replaced. They were either worn or broke. I love this rod.

Tight lines,
Keith

Greenie I also built my 9140-4. The one I am asking about is the lighter sort of trans lucent green. I just picked up a 600 grain skagit head and will try it out here soon when the river drop into shape. I will try a few mid belly lines if I find them to demo. I will not give up on the yet as am much better at casting now and can appreciate this rod.

Flyrig,
If it's one of Sage's newer rods, then I believe it's called the "Mod." I'm not familiar or don't think there is a brown version of this rod. I could be wrong, and it wouldn't be the first time that's happened.

Tight lines,
Keith

The Greenies were built in the late 1990's. The mod is a new rod that Sage just brought out. I have an older Greenie, 6126-3. It's a hard animal to master. I've told the story already so I won't go into it. I cast the Mod this past fall at the Waters West Clave. They are very different IMHO; nice rods but very different.

Yea Steve, I put this together around that time. I have never seen one like it, ever. I bought it at a fly shop as a blank so not sure much about it. This was my first two hander so I was as green the blank for sure. My guess this why I can't find a recommendation for a line. No local shop to try some demo lines.

Back in the day, the popular line of thought on Skagit lines ( heads) was 3x rod length. And the 9140 being the most popular rod at the time, 3x14= 42ft. Subtract 15 ft for the sink tips that everyone had from other lines and you get 27ft, the length of Rio's original "beer can" Skagit heads.

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Even though I started using spey rods early on I never got caught up in the "spey world"
I'm a little confused here...I thought the term 'greenies' didn't refer to blank color, but were the original brown blanks by Sage and called that because they were designed by Jimmy Green.

Like I said tho' I'm not a spey knowledge depository so I could be wrong.

The entire key to these rods is the correct line. Rio's recommendation is for a Skagit range of 600 to 650 gr. A Scandi range is 520 t0 580. I'd start there by trying some lines at a fly shop. Then move on from there.

Latest posts