Sage 9140-4

Don't know if this helps or not but I have an old 9140-3. Probably different action than the 4 piece. It's a graphite 3 GFL brownie. I use an airflo skagit compact 660 grain. Works great but I rarely use it because it's too much for the fish I'm targeting.

freestoneangler

Not to be confused with Freestone
My one and only spey rod is a Sage 8136 Brownie paired up with a Redington CDX 10 reel. Based on suggestions from the forum, I picked up a SA Skagit Master line that came with floating and several sink tips. It probably is not the best line option, but given my limited spey casting prowess, I wouldn't know the difference. Bottom line is that I have caught a handful of fish with it both swinging deep and skated fly's on top. (Jesse Cowl witnessed a couple on the Bogachiel).

It was this same rod/reel I fished many years back while staying at Steelhead Ranch with Jack Mitchell and his wife. He asked if any in the group wanted to try their hand at spey fishing and a couple of us did. That evening, I was quizzing Jack about options for a set-up to buy and he said that in all honesty, the one I had been using all day was among his favorites... that's all I needed to hear.

After a few weeks searching, I found the rod on auction through Leland and the reel on closeout from a shop in Ketchikan, AK. I don't use it much with most of the rivers closed or blown up when I can fish -- but plan to use it on the Snake and Salmon Rivers when we relocate to MT.

I realize this does not specifically answer your question on the 9140, but it's as close as I can come.

gbeeman

My one and only spey rod is a Sage 8136 Brownie paired up with a Redington CDX 10 reel. Based on suggestions from the forum, I picked up a SA Skagit Master line that came with floating and several sink tips. It probably is not the best line option, but given my limited spey casting prowess, I wouldn't know the difference. Bottom line is that I have caught a handful of fish with it both swinging deep and skated fly's on top. (Jesse Cowl witnessed a couple on the Bogachiel).

It was this same rod/reel I fished many years back while staying at Steelhead Ranch with Jack Mitchell and his wife. He asked if any in the group wanted to try their hand at spey fishing and a couple of us did. That evening, I was quizzing Jack about options for a set-up to buy and he said that in all honesty, the one I had been using all day was among his favorites... that's all I needed to hear.

After a few weeks searching, I found the rod on auction through Leland and the reel on closeout from a shop in Ketchikan, AK. I don't use it much with most of the rivers closed or blown up when I can fish -- but plan to use it on the Snake and Salmon Rivers when we relocate to MT.

I realize this does not specifically answer your question on the 9140, but it's as close as I can come.
Like Randy above I use a 660 compact skagit. This make the rod sing.

GBeeman

I believe, and I could be mistaken, that the "E" stands for European, meaning that the taper of the rod is a bit different. It mimics the European tapers which are different (deeper bending) than U.S. tapers if I have my facts straight. I have a 3 pc. Sage 6126 E and the bend is much deeper and the rod is a slower action but a damn fine rod by all accounts. I really like it but they aren't for everyone.

inland

No the E doesn't stand for euro models. They were originally made out of III as well. It was an upgrade in materials over the standard III. Been way too long to remember the differences in the models once they went to IIIe.

shotgunner

Anywhere ~ Anytime
Curious which came first (following G III) was it G IV or IIIe? Thinking it was IV based on one of my Euro rods (8124-3 G IV) but I'm no Sage historian. REALLY lusted a 6126 IIIe when they first came out.

shawn k

Curious which came first (following G III) was it G IV or IIIe? Thinking it was IV based on one of my Euro rods (8124-3 G IV) but I'm no Sage historian. REALLY lusted a 6126 IIIe when they first came out.
They came out with a 6126 euro first than the in the graphite 4 rod imho they were different rods I liked the green graphite 4 better. I would have kept the rod if it was 4 piece.

I use a Rio 400 gr Scandi with a clear floating tip. I have various other lines but I like the Scandi best and slow the cast to "slow motion." I no great spey caster but I enjoy the casting. I've also used a Delta 6/7, a Versi-tip, Skagit Short 480, and an AFS 460. It was very difficult for me to find the one I liked best but I fish mostly Scandi lines. Hope that gives you some ideas.

shotgunner

Anywhere ~ Anytime
They came out with a 6126 euro first than the in the graphite 4 rod imho they were different rods I liked the green graphite 4 better. I would have kept the rod if it was 4 piece.
Apparently this blank (6126-3) was rolled and built in Brown G III - Brown G IV - Green G IV - and the (what I call golden olive) GIIIe.. Strong testimony to how great of a design it was. Personally, I don't mind 3 piece rods. They're stronger and one less ferrule to connect and more importantly, keep an eye on for tightness. I'm to poor to be flying much so not an issue on that front.

Steve, I'm a big fan of the RIO AFS 6/7 400 grain too. It's worked very well for me on multiple rods.

I use a Rio 400 gr Scandi with a clear floating tip. I have various other lines but I like the Scandi best and slow the cast to "slow motion." I no great spey caster but I enjoy the casting. I've also used a Delta 6/7, a Versi-tip, Skagit Short 480, and an AFS 460. It was very difficult for me to find the one I liked best but I fish mostly Scandi lines. Hope that gives you some ideas.

Steve I have been using Airflo tactical steelhead line with the 8' changeable tip it no is loner made so I guess the old rod likes the old line. Tim R. if you listening that line needs to be in production again!

Latest posts