pass lake winter report

ondafly

Took a trip up to pass lake with my dad and decided to try our luck on the ice cold water. Got to the shore line and noticed the sign was still up for toxic algae. But we did not let that ruin our trip. Ended up with 3 trout in total with 2 of them, being what id call, trophy 17 -18" browns. All in all a great day and yet again still have never been skunked by the lake :D

Attachments

• WP_20150530_002.jpg
    WP_20150530_002.jpg
    748.9 KB · Views: 294
  • WP_20151127_001.jpg
    WP_20151127_001.jpg
    701.2 KB · Views: 276

ondafly

[UOTE="aimacart, post: 1103251, member: 17848"]still have never been skunked by the lake :D[/QUOTE]
I cannot say that[/QUOTE]

I don't go more then like 5 times a year so not to many opportunities to get skunked I guess haha. I have always fished a brown or green wolly bugger just off the bottom at the far side, from the launch, of the lake and always snag a couple, All size #8 or bigger. There are a few good topography maps I have referenced online that help me find the good steep drop offs and inclines.

Jim Wallace

Smells like low tide.
I plan to let mine fester, so I can lick the green slime off my Aqualux later when I need a good excuse to miss out on some occasion I don't want to partake in.

Gee, Ira. I never took you for an Aqualux licker! You're not trying to lead these lads astray, are you? If you need some fresh excuses, I'm sure that the forum can help you out. Just ask. I'd offer some up, but the ones that i've used in the past are so worn out that they no longer work. Its flu season.

Scott Salzer

previously micro brew
WFF Supporter
So, a few of us ventured to Pass this morning. One of us recommends the barista just after you turn off 20 towards Pass - no pictures allowed.

A little cool (frickin cold with the wind) as we rigged up. Wind let up a bit but the day required being well bundled up. Being in the sun was nicer but it really never came up much. Water temp was 37, a tad cooler than reported last week. The three of us had the lake to ourselves most of the day. Three others showed up for a bit. Fishing decent, catching variable. One person will not be mentioned. I picked up three bows, one of us got a hook up but none to the net.

We did manage to warm up enough to put some burgers on the barby, which was a welcome, warm treat. A nip or two ended the day.

Perfect way to ring in 2016 - fishing, food, a little libation and, of course, friends. Oh yeah, swans on the drive out - gotta love those birds.

It will only get better as we all move forward in 2016. I am truly looking forward to it!

MB

Roper

Idiot Savant
WFF Supporter
So, a few of us ventured to Pass this morning. One of us recommends the barista just after you turn off 20 towards Pass - no pictures allowed.

A little cool (frickin cold with the wind) as we rigged up. Wind let up a bit but the day required being well bundled up. Being in the sun was nicer but it really never came up much. Water temp was 37, a tad cooler than reported last week. The three of us had the lake to ourselves most of the day. Three others showed up for a bit. Fishing decent, catching variable. One person will not be mentioned. I picked up three bows, one of us got a hook up but none to the net.

We did manage to warm up enough to put some burgers on the barby, which was a welcome, warm treat. A nip or two ended the day.

Perfect way to ring in 2016 - fishing, food, a little libation and, of course, friends. Oh yeah, swans on the drive out - gotta love those birds.

It will only get better as we all move forward in 2016. I am truly looking forward to it!

MB
Scott is too kind, I couldn't buy a fish today, but I did try, for hours. I think I'll pass on Pass for a while.

Kfish

WFF Supporter
Planning to fish Pass next week either Thursday or Friday, any chance it will ice up?
Thanks

Tim Lockhart

I hadn't seen next week's weather when we were talking, but looks fine unless something changes. If Pass were to get ice it would be this weekend and I can't see it staying that way into the week given the forecast. Campbell had partial ice as of yesterday.

ryfly

Addicted to flyfishing
So after some great recon information from Ford fenders we hit Pass today. On the water at 11. Broke ice getting in. Full sink with brown and olive mohair leeches. A little ice at the point on the north side. Hit fish in depths of 18 and 30 feet, usually on strips after the fly was at depth. Pulled off at 515 and the ice had extended 1/2 way to the south. Not gangbusters but the fish we did catch were strong. One brown the rest bows, 15-21 inches. Felt colder than it was. Forgot to mention that water temp was 41 to 42 degrees but 34 at the surface.

Thanks for the recon Tim. You are the MAN. When we fishing?

Last edited:

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts