mash barb, start thread, wrap to barb; tie in tinsel

wrap tinsel part way down the bend and back; tie off/trim

tie in yarn; tie off/trim

prep GP tippet; measure (gap width past bend), tie in/trim

tie in rib

tie in some peacock; wrap to 2/3 mark, tie off/trim

counterwrap rib; tie off/trim

tie in (folded) hackle by tip; wrap, tie off/trim

clean, stack, measure (= to front hackle length); insert in clip, trim butts, insert in loop, spin

stroke fibers back; wrap head, tie off/trim

trim head, half hitch x 2, SHHAN

Regards,
Scott

Philonius

I've noticed you'll sometimes spin the Herl around the tying thread before wrapping the body, other times not. Any particular reason you do/do not on different patterns? I'd not seen that technique before, and it makes sense in terms of fly durability, especially with some of the rather fragile Peacock I've been using. (Just got a nice new batch in from feathersmc.com)

And; lovely work as usual!

ScottP

Thanks, all, for the kind words. On the peacock herl - if I'm not ribbing it, I'll twist the herl with the tying thread to create the re-enforced "chenille" and then wrap the body. If I'm ribbing the fly, sometimes, like on this muddler and the Ke-He Black, I'll just wrap the herl untwisted (creates a bit of a different effect that I'm sure the fish couldn't care less about, but looks cool to me) then count on the rib to protect. I've seen some folks brush Super Glue on the shank and just wrap the herl on that; I'd imagine that would be pretty durable, too.

Regards,
Scott