WFF Rookie of the Year

FinLuver

My brother growing up made it to a point where he could do triple digit multiplication in his head faster than just about anyone could on a calculator. He did not use a method of the old math, instead he used more of what the Common Core is attempting to teach students. Is it different? Yep! And thank goodness for that. Did the old method teach you how to calculate accurately if you memorized a certain formula? Yep, but it did not do a very good job of teaching math, in fact it left some high level mathematicians feeling like they were not good at math because in their brains they approached it differently and were told to do it differently. Common Core math and/or new math is a good thing, not a bad thing.
My professor in college could do math in his head and do it faster than anyone he had ever taught in his 30 + years...that was until he ran into me and my Texas Instrument (vintage 1980's model)... :eek:

ps: I had a grad student for recitation...he was a math whiz kid. Problem was, he couldn't speak the English language nor teach very well...I suspect the language barrier had something to do with it.

Last edited:

Greg Armstrong

OldRodsHaveMoreFun
My professor in college could do math in his head and do it faster than anyone he had ever taught in his 30 + years...that was until he ran into me and my Texas Instrument (vintage 1980's model)... :eek:

ps: I had a grad student for recitation...he was a math whiz kid. Problem was, he couldn't speak the English language nor teach very well...I suspect the language barrier had something to do with it.
HP12-C ? ..that was a great calculator.

Prof' doing it "in his head", still won though didn't he?

FinLuver

HP12-C ? ..that was a great calculator.

Prof' doing it "in his head", still won though didn't he?
Won??...not sure it was a contest.
He did comment... "Are you a piano player?" My reply... "No"...and I showed him how two thumbs could "shred" a calculator.
He was the BEST, and only the BEST math teacher I ever had, because he could answer the "why" questions to solving math equations, so that everyone could understand it. :D

I'll have to find my old calculator, to confirm the model...

Latest posts