Status
Not open for further replies.

Charles Sullivan

ignoring Rob Allen and Generic
What does that mean, per play? They have more penalties but more plays, than a team with the same number of penalties but fewer plays? They have fewer multi-penalty plays than anybody else? Seems like an odd qualifier.
You take the total number of penalties and divided by the number of plays that a team has run.
Some teams run more plays per game than others. Some teams commit more penalties. The number of penalties per play would indicate which teams are most likely to commit a penalty on any given play.

Go sox,
Cds

BDD

The penalties, referee interpretation, and commercials are all driving me away from the game of football. The concept of football is the greatest in sports, IMO. It's like war; you put two armies on a field and try to march down your opponents side with them trying to stop you. What could be better? But the three items I mentioned above are taking away the enjoyment for me, plus a few other things too.

Goodell needs to step in and tell the refs to knock it off. Too many chickenshit calls. Let them play. The refs who decide the challenges need to go with the calls on the field unless it's REALLY obvious that the call was wrong. Good or bad. It evens out. I wonder how we ever played the game before all this replay crappola? Jesus, it's ruining the game. And this offseason they need to get rid of the stupid "is it a catch?" bullshit. Go back to the way it was. The ground can't assist the catch, and the players hand needs to be under the ball when he hits the ground. Period. They are trying to make it rocket science, and it isn't. No juggling the ball as you go out of bounds. Possession need to be established inbounds. Period. No continuation crap. And I'd like to see the "fumble out of the endzone" be just like a fumble out of bounds. But that one is just my opinion.

Goodell needs to step in and tell the refs to knock it off. Too many chickenshit calls. Let them play. The refs who decide the challenges need to go with the calls on the field unless it's REALLY obvious that the call was wrong. Good or bad. It evens out.
I totally agree. I heard a talking head put forth a good idea: limit reviews to 60 seconds, if you can tell in 60 go with the call on the field. They're re officiating the game from the booth, it's bullshit.

nb_ken

Teams should suffer a severe penalty for challenging an uncorrected call. And no penalty at all for a call that's reversed. Make it so reviews only happen on obviously missed calls. If the call on the field looks reasonable in real time, that's the call. Carry on.

Charles Sullivan

ignoring Rob Allen and Generic
Or. Just go back to the way it used to be. Screw replays and challenges.
I like this. Problem is that the genie is out of the bottle. No one will ever get over a missed call. We are now a "gotcha" culture. Shit, Hawks fans are still upset about PI from the Steelers SB. That was not reviewable.

At least by using replay, the league appears to be trying. Maybe the 60 second idea isn't a bad idea, until an angle is missed within the 60 seconds.

Go sox,
Cds

Maybe the 60 second idea isn't a bad idea, until an angle is missed within the 60 seconds.
I think it would be fine, replay is suppose to be used to reverse bad calls not officiate the game frame by frame. You could call PI or holding on every play but they don't. They give you multiple angles in 10 or 15 seconds on tv, 60 seconds is plenty of time.

nb_ken

And then something happens that blows up the whole idea.

Did you see spot review in the Arizona/Perdue game? You could tell within 60 seconds that if they looked at it long enough, they could get it right. But they needed to look at it hard from several different camera angles.

And they did. They analyzed all the shots. They triangulated the position of the ball. They figured out exactly where the ball should be spotted. And they put right where the official on the field put his foot. The original call was perfect.

If yer crying about replays your team wasn’t better. At best it was a coin flip.

In the end we watch for entertainment. The quick ups and downs. Just let it ride. Either way we aren’t curing cancer. I’d rather just react right away and be done with it.

Better would be to hire full time refs with the money spent on replay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts