Help transitioning from 14 ft spey rod to 11 ft switch rod and OPST line.

flybill

Purveyor of fine hackle, wine & cigars!
Whats a grass leader?
Tie up a leader and leave the tag ends on the knots you tie between segments. They will catch the grass and allow you to load the rod when you're working on grass instead of water.

I also use a heavy Sinktip on the grass to do the same thing. Working on the grass makes it need to slow down. A good thing in spey casting!

Hi Mark,
Not bad for the fly line, just give it a wipe after the practice, when i teach kids that are starting to Overhead or Speycast, we always start on Grass, its only when they have had a while do we go to running water, partly because when we go to the water i have to do my health and safety talk, and that takes a wee while.
Flybill has given a good description.
Gordon.
DTX Pro Staff.

golfman44

5-Time Puget Sound Steelhead Guide of the Year
On the bottom/top hand, is it ok to push pull, or should the top hand really just be a fulcrum for the bottom hand?
For FISHING casts with short heads, the top hand is good for three things :

#1 the direction the cast needs to go
#2 stopping high and crisp
#3 preventing your rod from falling in water.

Don't use it for power.

Wadecalvin

Skagitmiester
I watched your practice video and you are doing awesome. You have a great foundation.

I think your splitting hairs at this point. Just keep practicing but do it in water where you have to wade. Keep doing what you are doing!

msteudel

Mark Steudel
I watched your practice video and you are doing awesome. You have a great foundation.

I think your splitting hairs at this point. Just keep practicing but do it in water where you have to wade. Keep doing what you are doing!
Appreciate you watching. I still havent had a chance to get into the water and cast. Im up on camano island and i brought it along ... I still find casting frm shore a wierd feeling. Hoping the yak drops into shape so i can try it out.

A.A.

Hmm,
I'd say what your doing looks okay. A really good caster I kept on running into while I was fishing once described the bottom hand as "punching his gut." He said his loops really tightened up when he used this concept. In my opinion, you're not doing a pure CL, CM cast. And you're really not doing an underhand cast, but using aspects of both styles. I call it sustained anchor and not skagit casting. That's my opinion, and there'll be good arguments both pro and con. So you're going to have to sift through all the variables and come up with something that works for you. Here's a casting style that I use when doing touch and go casts with a scandi head. I can really generate a lot of line speed and tight loops with this technique. It uses body movement and all bottom hand and top hand as a fulcrum. It's demonstrated by Henrik Mortensen;
After viewing your cast, I think you should try and combine aspects of both skagit and scandi techniques. It looks like the path you've begun to take. In my opinion I think it's pretty much the technique that most people use.
Tight lines,
Keith
Very helpful video, thanks! Several things in there I hadn't considered.

Latest posts