Cast Iron: Show Me Yours!!

SHD

So I don't want to steal the thunder off the other cast iron thread, however I thought it might be time for a little show and tell. I started my cast iron obsession about 8 years ago while thrift shopping with a friend at the Goodwill Outlet in south Seattle. This place, known as "The Bins" used to be a treasure trove of unwanted "junk" that Goodwill deemed unsaleable. All of the "junk" items were placed into large bins for customers to furiously dig through. Upon my first visit I unearthed a beautiful #9 early Wagner Ware skillet. I was instantly mesmerized and my cast iron addiction quickly ensued. I became a Craigslist, antique shop and estate sale junkie and within a few years acquired a substantial amount of iron, some good, some bad. Most of my pans stay in a non-rust zone space, a few make it out to the burner and a few more just stay in the car for my overnighters. I would trade most of my collection for an "ERIE" camp oven though (with legs), if ya got one PM me.:)

So with that being said i would love to see your favorite iron pieces and why you love them. One of the things that makes cast iron so great is the personal history (often untold) that each piece carries. Here are a few of my favorite skillets..

IMG_7123.JPG

Sidney Hollow Ware toy skillet. Circa 1887-1898. Purchased in Tacoma at an estate sale for $5. Sidney Hollow Ware was sold to the Wagner MFG Co in 1897.

IMG_7128.JPG

Rare-ish #6 "ERIE" (pre-Griswold) pan. Circa 1880-1905. A Value Village find. Paid $6 bucks. Was covered in crud and rust but brought it back to life with the help of lye and vinegar:)

Dave

My nephew has a collection of Griswolds. It covers a whole wall and I think he was looking for one more small skillet to finish off the collection.

I'll see if I can get him to post a pic.

Jerry Daschofsky

Staff member
I used to be a member of WAGs, talk about collectors. Guys actually built, or bought, small houses to store and display their pieces. One guy had over 50,000 pieces.

I had built up, then downsized, my collection. Everything I have I use. Yes, I have a lot of Dutch ovens, but need them all for big camps,

I'll be sorting through my stuff, I'll have to take some pics of my favorite pieces.

SHD

My nephew has a collection of Griswolds. It covers a whole wall and I think he was looking for one more small skillet to finish off the collection.

I'll see if I can get him to post a pic.
A wall full of Griswolds is a sight for sore eyes. I always wanted one but as a renter I don't think the landlord would appreciate it too much:eek:

SHD

I used to be a member of WAGs, talk about collectors. Guys actually built, or bought, small houses to store and display their pieces. One guy had over 50,000 pieces.

I had built up, then downsized, my collection. Everything I have I use. Yes, I have a lot of Dutch ovens, but need them all for big camps,

I'll be sorting through my stuff, I'll have to take some pics of my favorite pieces.
That's funny Jerry, I was a member of WAGS for a while too. I kind of gave up a bit after I realized we are just not situated geographically for the real gold mine of treasures like out east. I grew to be a big fan of really early stuff (ERIE, WAPAK and anything with a maker's mark) and it is just seldom found in our area compared to the eastern half of the country. Ironically after all of the efforts that I have put into restoring iron I still haven't perfected my seasoning skills. Do you have any secrets you would like to share?

SHD

I don't own any CI that I don't use. I have DOs in variuos sizes, and various skillets; Wagner and Lodge.

This Maca 12"x16"x9" is great for turkeys, but it's one heavy mother.

View attachment 110204
That's the biggest roaster I've seen by far. Holy crap that thing looks heavy, how many horses does it take to haul that thing around?! From some of your posts that I've read it sounds like you have a wealth of knowledge when it comes to cooking with iron. Roasting a turkey in a DO?! You're killing me over here!!

Trapper

Author, Writer, Photographer
That's the biggest roaster I've seen by far. Holy crap that thing looks heavy, how many horses does it take to haul that thing around?! From some of your posts that I've read it sounds like you have a wealth of knowledge when it comes to cooking with iron. Roasting a turkey in a DO?! You're killing me over here!!
That one has never been packed on a mule. I've used it for big groups where I could drive to, but also to cook the second turkey for Thanksgiving dinner when I had a lot of friends and family.

This is my favorite way to bake a pie big enough for a dozen or so guys.

image.jpeg

Jeff Dodd

Yeah that thing is no joke. I have several griddles but non are of that caliber. Is it stamped with a military marking on the back?
I thought it did, but I just looked. All I see is:

Estate Stove Company

I think I saw others like it online, from 1942, that had military markings.

Easily as heavy as a 45-pound dumbbell plate

Last edited:

SHD

Cooking up a few of the profits from the day's harvest. This little spot pumped out a fair amount until word got out. Jumped ship the next day and hit paydirt. Worked those hills over for about 3 weeks with hardly a soul around until the summer heat dried things up.

IMG_2029.JPG

Chicken fried steak and morels. This was a pretty big departure from the usual fare of gas station food:eek:

IMG_2070.JPG

Trapper

Author, Writer, Photographer
Nice! That kitchen looks mighty critter friendly. Do you ever have problems with bears lurking in the brush or midnight marauding mice and coons?
When I did Smith River, Montana floats there were a couple of campsites where coons were a problem, but the places I cook now there aren't any.

I've had bears in camp, but so far none have caused any problems, but in the wilderness areas where I cook we put up a 7,000 volt electric fence around the cook tent. Bears REALLY don't like those fences.

Mice and packrats are my nemisis. I trap the mice like this
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

And shoot the packrats with .22 CB shorts. I wear a size 13 shoe.

Latest posts