Cast Iron: Show Me Yours!!

Jerry Daschofsky

Staff member
View attachment 110318 Pulled this old military griddle out of Dad's garage. It belong to my Grandfather.

BIG!
I have one of these as well. They we're made by a few foundries for the war. Mine is a Wagner I believe. Mine weighs 85# if memory serves me right. I've been tempted to use it in a camp.

I'm on vacation this week, will put up pics of my favorites.

I actually left WAGs because I'm just not a collector that way. I like having usable iron on hand. In fact have a nice Wagner/Griswold 3 leg Dutch oven I'm going to sell. I started buying stuff when I was a member, then realized I didn't want to collect that way. I joined to get info on my pans I inherited.

Jerry Daschofsky

Staff member
0109161009.jpg

You can see my two favorite pieces of cast iron. Both are BS&R. The skillet has fried potatoes and the dimpled Dutch oven has sausage gravy. They are the set my parents received as wedding gifts. Ate lot of meals out of each.

Jeff Dodd

I have one of these as well. They we're made by a few foundries for the war. Mine is a Wagner I believe. Mine weighs 85# if memory serves me right. I've been tempted to use it in a camp.

I actually left WAGs because I'm just not a collector that way. I like having usable iron on hand. In fact have a nice Wagner/Griswold 3 leg Dutch oven I'm going to sell. I started buying stuff when I was a member, then realized I didn't want to collect that way. I joined to get info on my pans I inherited.
I am not much of a cook but These large griddles easily holds a big pot of soup, coffee pot and still has room for more. I used it to keep everything warm and to serve from. I need to use it more often.

Jaydub

I have my mom's cast iron. I think there's 5 sizes of skillets and a couple of the small round griddles. Some Griswold and Wagner and some no-name. Some of it needs to be rehabbed. The one I use all the time is a 10" no-name skillet.

I would like to hear you guys opinions on the new Lodge porcelain enamel dutch ovens. Received one for Christmas. Perhaps a bit overkill for rough camping, but sure nice for indoor applications.

Jerry Daschofsky

Staff member
I would like to hear you guys opinions on the new Lodge porcelain enamel dutch ovens. Received one for Christmas. Perhaps a bit overkill for rough camping, but sure nice for indoor applications.
I personally wouldn't take them camping. The enamel chips. Especially bouncing around. I only like using them for making soups or things where I deglaze pan after, since they do stick more than normal cast iron.

jersey

livin' the dream
Hope you guys can help ID or provide some background on these...

The two smaller ones were my Nana's, the larger one I purchased from a friend who owns an antique shop. It was a lot of work to bring it back to life.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

SHD

Hope you guys can help ID or provide some background on these...

The two smaller ones were my Nana's, the larger one I purchased from a friend who owns an antique shop. It was a lot of work to bring it back to life.

View attachment 110876 View attachment 110877 View attachment 110878
Hey Jersey, thanks for sharing. The Griswold pan was made somewhere between 1930 - 1939. Griswold iron is highly sought after both for cooking and by collectors. This particular pan is pretty common but a great piece none the less. The Wagner Ware pan is circa 1980's I believe, but the company was around for nearly a century producing some very quality cookware during it's time. They were based in Sidney, Ohio. The "no brand" skillet might be a BSR (Birmingham Stove and Range) or unmarked Wagner. I used to know all about these but forgot some of the details. All of these pans are great, made in USA and worth keeping around.

Cheers,
Dave.

SHD

I hear ya on the collecting bit. I had about a two year binge, thinking that I would get into reselling. Turned out I liked the hunting, history and restoring part more than the Craigslist aspect:eek:. I definitely need to purge some of my collection but I'm glad I ended up acquiring a lot of it.

jersey

livin' the dream
My Nana's pans and cook books are staying put. She has recipes for every event and had class to boot. It's fun digging in and making recipes from the 40s and 50s. Almost all are hand written too. She was top notch. Miss her a ton.

Thanks for the info! As my Dad says, " I like to eat, so yes, I cook."

Shapp

I have an old #8 griswold pot that is a daily cooker and is permanently on the stove top. I use it as a deep skillet to fry stuff up as well as a pot to make stew/curry etc. I have been using it on a near daily basis for around 15 years. My mom got it at a thrift store about 40 years ago and never used it. When they moved though dug it out from way back in the cupboard and I snatched it up. Need to take a couple pics and post.

On another note, not sure if this totally counts, but my cast aluminum Rome combo cooker, essentially a big rectangular cast aluminum dutch oven has been on many multiday river trips. Rome stopped making these many years ago. Just after they stopped production, I heard they were not making in anymore and called all over the US and found a new one back east at Don Gleason's Camping supply. It has been a staple on every river trip, except the trips where it was just my wife and I. On those trips we use a 10" GIS aluminum dutch oven. The big rome combo fryer DO has floated down and provided tasty food on the upper Owyhee, Wallow/Grande Ronde, Middle Fork Salmon, Main Salmon, Lower Salmon, Rogue River, Deschutes, NF John Day, and mainstem John Day, many multiple trips on several of these.

Some of its trips:

Last edited:

Latest posts