Cast Iron: Show Me Yours!!

SHD

I have an old #8 griswold pot that is a daily cooker and is permanently on the stove top. I use it as a deep skillet to fry stuff up as well as a pot to make stew/curry etc. I have been using it on a near daily basis for around 15 years. My mom got it at a thrift store about 40 years ago and never used it. When they moved though dug it out from way back in the cupboard and I snatched it up. Need to take a couple pics and post.

On another note, not sure if this totally counts, but my cast aluminum Rome combo cooker, essentially a big rectangular cast aluminum dutch oven has been on many multiday river trips. Rome stopped making these many years ago. Just after they stopped production, I heard they were not making in anymore and called all over the US and found a new one back east at Don Gleason's Camping supply. It has been a staple on every river trip, except the trips where it was just my wife and I. On those trips we use a 10" GIS aluminum dutch oven. The big rome combo fryer DO has floated down and provided tasty food on the upper Owyhee, Wallow/Grande Ronde, Middle Fork Salmon, Main Salmon, Lower Salmon, Rogue River, Deschutes, NF John Day, and mainstem John Day, many multiple trips on several of these.

Some of its trips:

Ha ha, that's awesome man! Looks like it's a member of the family. I've never seen a pan like that before but it seems like it does a great job out in the field. It's also apparent that you know how to cook good food and have a good time in beautiful country. Do you have or use anything as a lid for it?

Shapp

Ha ha, that's awesome man! Looks like it's a member of the family. I've never seen a pan like that before but it seems like it does a great job out in the field. It's also apparent that you know how to cook good food and have a good time in beautiful country. Do you have or use anything as a lid for it?
It as a lid, thats how you can bake in it as a DO, see the last 2 photos, the gal is holding the lid with the hot pad, the lid is also a griddle.
In the very first photo you can see the lid proped up behind the pan on the stove.
On the pic with the 2 kids and sasquatch holding the coors, the lid is infront of the pan, with the griddle side up.

Last edited:

Porter

So looking up Lodge cooking wear....Those who have used satisfied? Bought a 10" 1.5" deep skillet. In first test run in was good. Need to rplace a couple items...just looking for opinions.

SHD

So looking up Lodge cooking wear....Those who have used satisfied? Bought a 10" 1.5" deep skillet. In first test run in was good. Need to rplace a couple items...just looking for opinions.
I have little experience with newer Lodge items. They are made in USA so that's a good thing and they test all of their iron for impurities as opposed to the potentially sketchy overseas (Asian) companies. One downside to newer cast iron is the heavier weight compared to older more polished stuff. What exactly are you looking to get? If you are interested in some of the really "good" stuff (Griswold, Wagner) I have quite a bit that needs to find a new home..

Porter

Yeah it is heavy. But i am satisfied with it. Wife said I had to wait, she doesnt like the weight, but that thing really heats up and is awesome for breakfast, eggs, bacon, etc, and especially fried potatoes :)

I have little experience with newer Lodge items. They are made in USA so that's a good thing and they test all of their iron for impurities as opposed to the potentially sketchy overseas (Asian) companies. One downside to newer cast iron is the heavier weight compared to older more polished stuff. What exactly are you looking to get? If you are interested in some of the really "good" stuff (Griswold, Wagner) I have quite a bit that needs to find a new home..
SHD, if you have something like what Mark posted. I'd be very interested.

Porter

image.jpeg
My new Lodge off the gas grill, browned boned pork chops, garlic/buttered sauteed mushrooms, and some cream of mushroom soup...add fresh green beans and a mushroom/asparagus rissotto for complete meal....with a Raven Trickster IPA ;)

Grayone

Fishin' to the end, Oc.P
When I did Smith River, Montana floats there were a couple of campsites where coons were a problem, but the places I cook now there aren't any.

I've had bears in camp, but so far none have caused any problems, but in the wilderness areas where I cook we put up a 7,000 volt electric fence around the cook tent. Bears REALLY don't like those fences.

Mice and packrats are my nemisis. I trap the mice like this
View attachment 110328 View attachment 110329

And shoot the packrats with .22 CB shorts. I wear a size 13 shoe.
We trap them the same way! I think our record was 17 one night.

C&CRods

not your average member
You beat my record by 5!

Mice can cause some serious problems when you can't easily replace what they destroy. I don't like using poison because it ends up in the guts of owls.
I've stomped em, drowned em, and shot em. Used to work on a fly ranch and had them in cabins where the food was and guests could see. We were ruthless.
To the OP, I have a large skillet, medium skillet, and medium with the grill lines on it. All are Lodge, and I love em. They just get better and better. A couple months ago Fred Meyer had a BOGO sale on Lodge... I should have spent more but only got my two mediums
20160426_174036.jpg

Latest posts