Cast Iron: Show Me Yours!!

Jerry Daschofsky

Staff member
What kind of Dutch oven you looking for? Size? Price range?
Hi Jerry,

I am thinking this one http://shop.lodgemfg.com/camp-ovens-and-grills/10-inch-4-quart-camp-dutch-oven.asp

But the 10" 5quart looks good too. Oh and the 12 inch 6, and 8qt models also. Of those three I would actually greatly value your opinion on which one to go with. I only see myself cooking for myself or 2. I think when I take the whole family camping I will need bigger so at the end of the day I will probably have two eventually. My wife just said to me, " gees you gotta write a story?" Guess its time for me to shut up.

Jerry Daschofsky

Staff member
I always say get a standard 12" to start. Then expand from there. It's actually not too expensive to grab a 10" and a 12". I try to stay away from the deep camp ovens for those that are new to cooking with them.

I always say get a standard 12" to start. Then expand from there. It's actually not too expensive to grab a 10" and a 12". I try to stay away from the deep camp ovens for those that are new to cooking with them.
Excellent I will pick up the 12 but why do you suggest the shallower of the two? I am assuming easier heat management?

Jerry Daschofsky

Staff member
If you plan to bake or do cobblers you'll have to really load the oven up to brown up the top and you have more area to try and warm up to get to baking. I use the deeps for stews, soups, and misc

Latest posts