Pattern Lunn's Spent Gnat

ScottP

From across the pond. In the right colors, could make some interesting drake spinners.

hook - Mustad 94840 #10
thread - Danville 6/0 brown
tail - pheasant tail
rib - x-small wire gold
body - Swiss Straw cream
wings - hen hackle tips white
hackle - brown
collar - sharptail grouse

Regards,
Scott

Rob Ast

Scott, was getting the white tips to lay so flat and even a matter of persistence, or was there a trick involved? Looks great.

ScottP

Scott, was getting the white tips to lay so flat and even a matter of persistence, or was there a trick involved?
Rob,

No tricks, just standard hackle tip tie in

measure (gap width/hook length) a pair of hen hackle tips (convex facing)

tie in/trim

set upright with thread wraps in front of base

splay with cross wraps

Regards,
Scott

Tim Cottage

Formerly tbc1415
If you do it carefully you can give the feather shaft a light squeeze with flat nosed, smooth faced pliers at the tie in point. This can help with uncooperative feathers to get them to lay just the way you want them.

TC

Last edited:

Tim Cottage

Formerly tbc1415
Scott
Where did you find this pattern? It looks kind of Irish. Like some of the Irish Mayflies its a pretty abstract version of a Gnat.

TC

ScottP

Tim,

Haven't had any problems getting the feathers to align properly, but I'll keep your suggestion in mind; I can see where it would work.
Found a picture of the fly on a U.K. flyshop site; I think gnat may mean something entirely different to them.

Regards,
Scott

Tim Cottage

Formerly tbc1415
Tim,

Haven't had any problems getting the feathers to align properly, but I'll keep your suggestion in mind; I can see where it would work.
Found a picture of the fly on a U.K. flyshop site; I think gnat may mean something entirely different to them.

Regards,
Scott

Actually I posted the stem flattening technique in response to Rob Ast's post. I should have quoted his post. My bad.

But next time you encounter an uncooperative feather that except for the stem is otherwise perfect for the application give it a try.

TC

Latest posts