NFR (Swey Rod)

I love steelhead fishing, and my passion is on the grips of a two handed rod. I've been building spey and switch rods for over 15 years and enjoy doing it immensely. I recently ran into a gentleman using a spey rod as a float rod on the Kalama. I asked him why he was doing it and he said that he'd rather just carry a center pin reel on him instead of hauling around a switch, spey, and float rod to cover most situations. It got me thinking and I wanted to boot around some ideas in the shop. I call the rod I came up with the "swey". I know it's sack religion for a lot of die hard speyers but I actually like it. it started out as an 11'6" switch. I added an adjust-a-butt to make it extend to a 12' spey. It will also function as a 12'4 center pin rod as well. The only real draw back is the added weight from the adjust-a-butt, but I actually like the feel bottom weighted and rear hard wood speys. I still used snake guides due to the fact I will be using it as a switch/spey 95% of the time. I'm playing around with some guide configurations to suit pinners that want to try spey every once in a while.

Attachments

Jerry Daschofsky

Staff member
I actually posted about this a few years back. A Canadian builder of Fenwick rods made a single hand, switch, and pin rod all in one. Ran as a single hander, add 6" extension and was a switch (or short spey), and had standard eyes for throwing a pin. How I assumed it was built and how I used it. Carried a Winona as my pin reel.

Woohoo. I should do a little research. I don't think the idea is going to replace the modern two handed rod. But, it might be a good option for someone that enjoys all styles.

hbmcc

Woohoo. I should do a little research. I don't think the idea is going to replace the modern two handed rod. But, it might be a good option for someone that enjoys all styles.
That's a nice looking tool. Yours reminds me of my old Eagle Claw Trailmaster with the multiple handle configurations. The oldest conversion I know was spin-fly. Would that be a "Sply" rod?

Having been away from fishing for ages, I was mistified by the need everyone felt for multiple rods, multiple even in one type. I put it down to successful marketing; then, proceeded to acquire five 9'/5wts. Now, I wonder about the sply, or the swey combinations. After all, I didn't even need to slip on the slope. I dove out beyond it.

I tried a similar idea out recently just to see if I could make a many purpose rod. I took a 11.5 ft. centerpin rod, added spin guides but used a fly rod tip-top. I wanted to throw small spinning gear when fish are out too far and because I liked the action of the blank I tried to throw some switch lines with it. I like the leverage I get with the longer handle and I like the location of the reel. Seems to fit my casting style much better then a switch rod does. I'm still experimenting with it but it seems to work really well. I was able to toss the switch line about 75 ft. and a spinner about 125+ ft. It should work really well on lakes or surf fishing as well but I haven't tried that yet. Fun project tho.

Latest posts