Scored a clean Pflueger 1498 Akron for my Fenwick FF108!

PhilR

In the time of chimpanzees, I was a monkey
What did you do to that poor reel? It looked fine to me before

I'll admit I'm partial to Medalists for my blue collar bamboo, but the only mod I've made is adding a drag enhancer made from an old wallet since I use mine for steelhead, too. If you're thinking of using that reel for steelhead, you may want to do something similar, since they don't have a palming rim and the drag isn't particularly strong.

GreyGoose

Fishing the Redoubt, one stream at a time.
It's a 1498 Akron 6 screw, its reportedly more than plenty for tarpin and bonefish, and if so it's probably plenty for all the steelhead I have ever seen.

I'll admit I'm partial to Medalists for my blue collar bamboo, but the only mod I've made is adding a drag enhancer made from an old wallet since I use mine for steelhead, too. If you're thinking of using that reel for steelhead, you may want to do something similar, since they don't have a palming rim and the drag isn't particularly strong.
That is ingenious! I am going to steal that idea, love it!

and GG, love the modded Medalist, I have mine halfway but after seeing the knob, medal, and counterweight, I am going to have to take the plunge for my reels.

para_adams

I've never used one myself for large fish but my fishing buddy always used his 1495 on large, nasty saltwater chum with no problem. If it can handle a fresh chum off the beach, I'm betting it'll handle most steelhead.

Hillbilly Redneck

wishin i was fishin
I put a chrome drag plate from onePfoot in a 1495 DA and it is way smoother than the original. I have it set up with LHR. Haven't sprung for any of the other doo-dads that onePfoot offers. So far I haven't found a fish that my medalist couldn't handle.

David Loy

Senior Moment
I have a pair of 1495s, one I bought on line, and the other dad gave me "out of the blue" the next day. Both are mid 70s Akron models and not collector pieces but in perfect working order. Added the 1Pfoot clutch to both for lhr. Perfect on 4 to 6 wt Switch rods and Sound sound.

Latest posts