Diy floater head

msteudel

Mark Steudel
As some might remember I have a opst commando head. At the time i only bought a couple of poly versileaders with it. I was wondering if i could make a floating head for it out of an old wf 5 floating line i have. Any thoughts on how long it should be?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bconrad

That old 5 weight line will likely not have the grains per foot you need to make a viable tip. I'd just pony up the $20 for a MOW floating tip that matches your head.

jake-e-boy

sans caféine
If I was you I would do maxima leaders off the head, maybe upsize head to something that might work on a bigger rod for tips etc, but will load up the smaller rod wth just a tapered leader, I have a 12' 6wt Spey and 10' 7wt that can make use of the same head so YMMV depending on rod arsenal

msteudel

Mark Steudel
That old 5 weight line will likely not have the grains per foot you need to make a viable tip. I'd just pony up the $20 for a MOW floating tip that matches your head.
This is very last minute so i wad hoping to make it work. My yak plans got blown out so now im thinking of rocky ford ... Dont really need the switch rid there but i was so looking forward to fishing it. I was contemplating creating a floating head to throw little scuds ... Oh well just throw my single hander ...

A.A.

As some might remember I have a opst commando head. At the time i only bought a couple of poly versileaders with it. I was wondering if i could make a floating head for it out of an old wf 5 floating line i have. Any thoughts on how long it should be?

I think the 5 wt line would work great...
...just don't cut it, and put it on your 5 wt single hander with a leader, tippet, and tiny scud! But I understand where you're coming from. I'm debating going out just for casting practice tomorrow, water's coming up!
Maybe just fish streamers instead of scuds, so u can work on single handed Spey casts. There u go!

bconrad

This is very last minute so i wad hoping to make it work. My yak plans got blown out so now im thinking of rocky ford ... Dont really need the switch rid there but i was so looking forward to fishing it. I was contemplating creating a floating head to throw little scuds ... Oh well just throw my single hander ...

Well you could take a shot if you don't care about chopping that 5 weight line and not having it work out. Maybe just cut 10' of the belly off the back of the head. With a Skagit line you don't need a tapered tip and I'd go for the section of line with the most mass. Throw a loop on the head side and a tapered leader on the business end.

You can get the necessary grain weight for your rod from the various charts available at the manufacturer's web site. Get a scale and weigh the length of tip you want and whack it off. You might need a heavier line to start but the concept is there. Or you can spring for the $20 and get a MOW tip as suggested.

msteudel

Mark Steudel
Thanks for everyone's input. In the end I stopped off at the yak threw some streamers for an hour and got my fix in.Hopefully the river will drop back soon ....

Latest posts