Swap Chironomid Bomber Time

Irafly

Indi "Ira" Jones
I'm thinking I'd like to increase my bomber mid collection. Size 10 or bigger, no bloodworm patterns. I'll decide on the number of bugs based on the number of tiers.

Closed

1. Irafly DONE
2. ComeOnSounders
3. troutpocket DONE
4. tyafly82 DONE
5. Philonius DONE
6. steeli
7. Wayne Kohan DONE

Last edited:

Irafly

Indi "Ira" Jones
I'll drop bombs ;). In.
Before the last swap, I would have said that the problem with us in a swap together is we never end up with anything new from each other. Then you go and pull that freekin Brown catching machine of a beast out on me.

By the way, I showed that fly to Rowley and he liked it, look for it to be one of his new favorites. Also I showed Rickards the stillwater jig and he was actually not offended by it. He did suggest putting it on a larger hook though. Oh Denny! I may tie it balanced, have you tried that yet?

I'd like to hop in on this one!
Although I'm new to tying this particular pattern, and also new to Fly Swaps in general, surely I can come up with something fishy. Irafly, if lack of experience is a deal breaker let me know.

Irafly

Indi "Ira" Jones
I'd like to hop in on this one!
Although I'm new to tying this particular pattern, and also new to Fly Swaps in general, surely I can come up with something fishy. Irafly, if lack of experience is a deal breaker let me know.
Lack of experience is not a deal breaker at all. If you need/want some helpful hints, we can certainly entertain you there.

I'm always open to helpful hints. A nudge in the right direction should get me going. I've being googling patterns, but what exactly falls into the Bomber category I'm a bit confused about.

Irafly

Indi "Ira" Jones
View attachment 111775 Ira, something like this?
Not my fly, just making sure we're talking about the same bugs.
Yes, something just like that or any other color combination. I prefer to tie my patterns with tungsten so they hang better under indicators.

A bomber in this particular case would be any chironomid patter tied in a size 10 or larger. I'll likely tie mine on a size 10 scud hook. I'll also likely play around with some multi colored mids.

Pat Lat

Mad Flyentist
Another lake swap?!? Damn you Ira.
How many patterns does it take to catch clones out of ponds anyways? :) Jk of course.

Honestly I saw the title and thought stacked and trimmed deer hair for dry line steelhead/ salmon. Then I realized it was an Ira swap...
Btw, If I tie a stacked and trimmed deer hair indicator for you to use do you think all the people would still say it's gear?

Latest posts