Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Ballistic Vector XL

Spey 
980 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  SpeySpaz 
#1 ·
Hey Everybody,

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with the Ballistic Vector XL series spey lines. I am going to purchase a new dry line for my summer rod this season. I'm currently fishing a CND Black Spey 12' 6" 5/6/7 with a SA Spey Evolution (420gr for 49'). The SA line seems a little light for this rod. It only casts well when the rod is floored and all the timing is perfect, which is fun for casting practice but not so practical as a fishing tool.

I believe I read somewhere that these lines are supposed to be a cross between a GPS and Godshall taper…sounds too good to be true! Anyone cast these lines? How do they compare to a Fall Favorite 55? How do they compare to a SA Spey Evolution? The 5/6 XL looks like it might be the ticket for taking advantage of the deep flex of the Black Spey.

Cheers,

Jason

#2 ·
I believe I read somewhere that these lines are supposed to be a cross between a GPS and Godshall taper…sounds too good to be true!
Sure did.

From Steve, on speypages,

"Lee and I worked on this taper together. We wanted a tweener to bridge the CND GPS, one of our favorites, and my SGS (ballistic express). Drawing on the scandi and Lee's expertice on the GPS, I think we nailed the ultimate bridge line from a Scandi to Mid spey. enjoy the journey, steve"
If you have not already done so, speypages has a ton of info on this line

#3 · (Edited)
The XLs are great lines. Personally I prefer it over the SA Spey Evolution, and it's a close race between the shorter/lighter XLs and FF55. One thing to keep in mind. To me, the XLs feel/cast light. Other brands with similar length and grains feel like they load my rods deeper. I like that light feel, but you may not. For a test, I have gone up one size on the XLs, and they cast fine too.

briansII

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.