Pattern Carnage Caddis (gallows variation)

ScottP

Mother's Day variation

Non-ungulate version.

hook - Dai Riki 135 #14
thread - Danville 6/0 olive
core - 20lb mono
body - 1mm foam olive
wing - Congo Hair shiner tan (color washed out in the photo)
hackle - grizzly dyed olive

Regards,
Scott

ScottP

do you have a sbs on how the body is built?
Here's the sequence from a Carnage Hopper Just a matter of adjusting length/thickness for different applications.

put a loop in the end of a piece of mono

mash barb, start thread, tie in the mono

tie in a strip of foam; hook the mono on the gallows

brush Super Glue on the mono; wrap the foam up the core (use a bit of tension)

brush on a little more glue and wrap back down; finish with a turn or two on the hook shank; tie off/trim

trim away mono

Check my SBS Index; I have about 20 Carnage variations in it. Method/sequence evolved over the past few years; started using the mono core last year and I've been real happy with the results. Much more durable and easy to tie than the previous versions.

Regards,
Scott

Last edited:

freestoneangler

Not to be confused with Freestone
Mother's Day variation

Non-ungulate version.

hook - Dai Riki 135 #14
thread - Danville 6/0 olive
core - 20lb mono
body - 1mm foam olive
wing - Congo Hair shiner tan (color washed out in the photo)
hackle - grizzly dyed olive

Regards,
Scott
That might float better than a cork.

ScottP

Integrating a folded foam head into this pattern adds a bit more floatation. Ran out of mule deer for the wings but the yearling elk seems to be a decent substitute.

Regards,
Scott

Last edited:

MattB

Scott, just to clarify, you are tying in your wing material, and then wrapping hackle over the wing tie in point?

Just tied my first extended body parachute yesterday, floated like a cork and had about two dozen cutties try to eat it in about two hours, even though it is ridiculously large. With your general attractor style extended body mayfly variants, what is your goal overall length from hook eye to the end of the foam?

john gates

Vw Bus driving(68) God Fearing Adventure Seeker
I think I read that you tie the body size in comparison with the normal hook size bug you are imitating and the hook would be say two sizes smaller and wide gape/scudd. Any one have other thoughts?
This way you get the bug you want the boyancy and hook gap to penetrate and hold but the short shank to remove leveraging effects on fighting and less weight to floating. @Matt B

ScottP

Scott, just to clarify, you are tying in your wing material, and then wrapping hackle over the wing tie in point?
Matt,
That's correct.

With your general attractor style extended body mayfly variants, what is your goal overall length from hook eye to the end of the foam?
I'm still working out proportions; since I measure 2x hook length for the tail (which is tied in around the 50% mark on the hook), I'm thinking something like 2/3 of the tail/core should be wrapped with the foam. Nothing hard and fast/carved in stone, just looks balanced to me, provides enough floatation, and the fish bite them.

Regards,
Scott

Latest posts