Swap March Madness Saltwater Fly Tournament

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater
This is a bit early, but I wanted to judge interest in a March Madness Saltwater Fly Pattern Tournament.
I’d be the tournament master and the tournament would be tied to the NCAA Basketball Brackets.

I won’t participate to keep things impartial. I would be responsible for collecting the flies, tracking the results and distributing flies to the winner. I’ll also include some flies for the winner.

I participated in a tournament like this a few years ago on another non fly fishing board and it was a lot of fun. I believe the winner of that swap is also a member of this board.

The proposed tournament would go as follows.
16 Participants
Each participant would send me four flies. Two sets of two identical flies (two chum fry / two stinger clousers, two flatwings etc). That way if someone losses a fly from the tournament that has worked well for them they’ll have another to copy if they want to tie some more. I'd also like the winner get a wider variety of different patterns.
I’d like the fly patterns to focus on our local Coho and SRC fisheries.

Shortly before the tournament begins I’ll conduct a drawing. Each of the 16 participant’s names will be throw in a hat four times and randomly picked to assign four of the 64 teams in the brackets to them. The four play-in games won’t be included.

Here is an example of what you might end up with following the picks of your four teams…..
2nd Seed in the West Bracket
4th Seed in the Midwest Bracket
9th Seed in the East Bracket
14th Seed in the West Bracket

Once all four of your teams lose, you are out of the tournament. As long as one of your teams keep winning, you’ll stay in the tournament.

15 people will win nothing.
The person with the team that wins the championship gets 64 flies plus my flies.
There are no great teams this year in my opinion, so things should be pretty wide open this year in the tournament.

Deadline for all flies to be received would be by the night of the championship game. That gives you about three weeks from the start to end of the tournament to get your flies in.

As said, just gauging interest at this point.
Post if you’d like to participate.

Thanks,
SF

Stonefish

Thanks fellas.
All full. We've got our 16 players. If anyone else is interested let me know and you can be an alternate should someone need to drop out.

I'll send the players a pm in the next few days on where to send the flies.
Thanks for participating.
SF
1. Rob Ast
2. Nick Clayton
3. steeli
4. tyafly82
5. Pat Lat
6. James St. Clair
7. Gary Knowels
8. porterHause
9. ffb
10. ComeOnSounders
11. Irafly
12. Travis Bille
13. PBR
14. Bajema
15. diobsud
16. Nailbender

Last edited:

Pat Lat

Mad Flyentist
In!!
Edit: just read completely, I don't really know how the whole basketball thing works, not a sports guy.
But someone out there could pick my teams and I could still have a reason to tie more flies...

Last edited:
Pat, from the sounds of it you really don't need to know sports at all. Everything is drawn randomly so really all you have to do is send in your flies and wait for a winner to be announced :)

Stonefish

Thanks Pat
This is like gambling as Rob said.
Possibly sacrificing four flies for the opportunity to win 64.
I'll be picking your team.
SF

Pat Lat

Mad Flyentist
I knew I was confused :) (no not like that)

That's even better as I won't have to watch basketball. All that back and forth makes me dizzy.
But at least it's better than that game where the one guy with the stick tries to ruin the other guys game of catch. I don't know why they never throw the ball to the guys out in the field...they're open for christsake!

Pat Lat

Mad Flyentist
Soooo... I was just thinking about this one, it seems as though the winner would have their own ties returned to them as part of the 64.

If I were to win I wouldn't want my own flies back, I'd think they'd be better off in the hands of the swapmeister.

Latest posts