Skandi vs Skagit Difference

What is the difference between Skandi vs Skagit lines. I am a beginner and will be using a 12 foot 6 inch 6 weight rod. I want to throw big streamers for steelhead and trout. Most of the water I fish is only 4 to 5 foot deep so I will need to use some type of sinking tip. Thanks

Last edited:
The primary difference between the two is what you plan to cast. Skagit heads are for maximizing the size of flies and sink tips you can cast with a given rod. Before when using traditional lines you'd have to cast 10 weight spey rods in order to comfortably cast larger flies such as intruders and the appropriate sink tips. Today is a different story, now with skagit heads you can comfortably cast these intruders with 7 weight or even 6 weight rods along with the appropriate sink tips.
Scandinavian style shooting heads were designed for tough casting situations where traditional DT lines were too cumbersome. Most modern scandi heads are designed to throw knotless tapered leaders and poly-leaders. Not something you want if you plan to fish large flies.
Go with a skagit head.

hbmcc

A skagit system is easier to start with in learning two-hand casting with spey casting; and based on your spec's. skagit is better suited to heavier, bigger flies.

If you can get to it, the Ellensburg event in April-May? has a nearly 2 on 1 instruction class. It was the best $30, $10/hr I spent. Hope to do it again this year. They use a local pond-park.

golfman44

5-Time Puget Sound Steelhead Guide of the Year
You've bought and sold thousands of dollars worth of spey gear here, yet you ask these questions?

golfman44

5-Time Puget Sound Steelhead Guide of the Year
I guess someone else was using your account then to sell multiple spey and switch rods. My mistake.

Get a Skagit head

miyawaki

What is the difference between Skandi vs Skagit lines. I am a beginner and will be using a 12 foot 6 inch 6 weight rod. I want to throw big streamers for steelhead and trout. Most of the water I fish is only 4 to 5 foot deep so I will need to use some type of sinking tip. Thanks
There is a free seminar at Orvis tomorrow, Thursday, evening at 6PM, "Demystifying Spey."

Leland.

Latest posts