That old Battenkill

Philonius

As relative newbie here, I thought it would be fun to show off my old Orvis Battenkill; an 8'- 6wt with two tip sections. This was a Christmas gift to my Dad from his new in-laws in 1952. If I recall correctly, it cost a handsome $95 at the time, which actually seems quite reasonable compared to what a comparable new bamboo rod would cost today.

This stick has seen lots of use, mostly in the rivers of NY's Cattskill mountains. When I got if from him in 1991, it was a bit long in the tooth with fraying wraps and a loose ferrule, so I had Orvis recondition it. They stripped and refinished the rod with new wrappings and guides, and replaced the male ferrule and cork grip. Per Orvis' records, it was built by two employees, Cal Skinner and George Reed in October 1952.

Of course, it pairs up well with an old Medalist reel. I don't think I knew that there was any other kind of fly reel until I was in my 20's when a friend came around with a fancy-schmancy English Hardy (which I thought looked and sounded kind of cheap in comparison to the Pfleuger.)

Though I haven't used the rod that much lately, This year I'm going to make a point of taking it out more often. It's always fun to fish, a great reminder of the guy who got me into flyfishing, and is a sweet casting rod.

Bonus picture: This is my Avatar photo, a picture of my old man labelled "Matane River Salmon 19 ½ lb” -Must be from the early 50's

I just LOVE that picture.

As relative newbie here, I thought it would be fun to show off my old Orvis Battenkill; an 8'- 6wt with two tip sections. This was a Christmas gift to my Dad from his new in-laws in 1952. If I recall correctly, it cost a handsome $95 at the time, which actually seems quite reasonable compared to what a comparable new bamboo rod would cost today.

This stick has seen lots of use, mostly in the rivers of NY's Cattskill mountains. When I got if from him in 1991, it was a bit long in the tooth with fraying wraps and a loose ferrule, so I had Orvis recondition it. They stripped and refinished the rod with new wrappings and guides, and replaced the male ferrule and cork grip. Per Orvis' records, it was built by two employees, Cal Skinner and George Reed in October 1952.

Of course, it pairs up well with an old Medalist reel. I don't think I knew that there was any other kind of fly reel until I was in my 20's when a friend came around with a fancy-schmancy English Hardy (which I thought looked and sounded kind of cheap in comparison to the Pfleuger.)

Though I haven't used the rod that much lately, This year I'm going to make a point of taking it out more often. It's always fun to fish, a great reminder of the guy who got me into flyfishing, and is a sweet casting rod.

Bonus picture: This is my Avatar photo, a picture of my old man labelled "Matane River Salmon 19 ½ lb” -Must be from the early 50's

I just LOVE that picture.
I
I bet if he has passed on, he still remembers that day fondly. Hurray for pledging to let that Battenkill hear the sweet gurgle of flowing sreams again and tie you and your Dad closer with each loop.

Latest posts