Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Any Southern Cooks Here?

NFR 
2K views 19 replies 6 participants last post by  Trapper 
G
#1 ·
Food Ingredient French fries Tableware Deep frying
I spent a week in New Orleans. We had tornado warnings, high winds and driving rain for two days, but I did get out to see some local sights and sample some local food.

Beignets. If you've never had these little gems, you're missing a delight. I used to make donuts in backcountry camps but for some reason stopped. The beignets will be added this year.

I made these yesterday at my house.

Food Tableware Coffee cup Table Kopi tubruk

Food Tableware Recipe Staple food Ingredient

What I need help with is Po' boys. I had the one above at Mannings (Yup, same family). It was a shrimp po' boy with pickled okra. What I don't know is the sauce. It was Cajun, spicy, but not make your ears ring spicy. It didn't taste like cayenne or vinegar.

Anybody have a clue?

See less See more
#2 ·
No clue, Trap, but I spent some time years ago in LA & loved the food. Some of the best road-side BBQ I've ever had, but I really liked spillway crawfish/gulf shrimp boils (and no, I never did cotton-to sucking the juice out of a crawfish head, lol.). But a man can eat well down south (and too much!). Good luck in your quest. I found several recipes for Rémoulade when I Googled Po Boys if that's the sauce you're seeking.

G
#7 ·
Drive thru booze stands, miss the south sometimes. A good hurricane makes the road trip nicer

Trap do you think they may have put some horseradish, ala cocktail sauced-up remoulade?
I always thought remoulade had horseradish in it. It did have that flavor and maybe it's just got some sort of red pepper in it along with the mayo and horseradish.

All I know is I'm a food snob. I'm tough to amaze, and this was eye rolling, knock your socks off, amazing.

If I can replicate this sauce Im going to be a very happy (and VERY popular) cook.

G
#8 ·
Tableware Drinkware Stemware Dishware Wine glass
I didn't see any drive through booze joints, but I did notice that these New Orleans folks sure know their bourbons. They introduced me to the boubon flight.

Three 1 oz (neat of course) samples of small batch bourbons. Holy shit was that fun.

G
#10 ·
Alex, I find a drop or two per ounce of whiskey opens it up. I don't put chlorinated water in it though.

I was made a believer many years ago by a Scotsman who was a wine distributor for the UK. He also showed me that my whiskey glass choice was very important.

Before that I could never understand how such a small amount of water could open up a whiskey. I still don't understand the chemistry, I just enjoy the empirical evidence.

#11 · (Edited)
If the sauce to which you refer was creamy like mayo, but with a kind of dark pink color, it could have been due to the addition of chipotle peppers. (roasted jalapeno peppers having an aroma of smoke)
Ditch the high ball glass & the brandy snifters for a Glen Cairn glass. http://www.whiskyglass.com/howtouse.html

G
#12 ·
O

I was thinking along the same lines Of a remoulade with some chipotle which is a mesquite smoked jalapeno.

I like thay glen cairn glass! Nice.

While I VERY much enjoy a good single malt (not a fan of the real peaty) I also enjoy a good bourbon.

#13 ·
Louisiana remoulade

Louisiana-style remoulade sauce
Louisiana remoulade can vary from the elegant French-African Creole, the rustic Afro-Caribbean Creole, or the Classic Cajun version, and like the local variants of roux, each version is different from the French original. Creole versions often have tan or pink hues and are usually piquant. Louisiana-style remoulades fall generally into one of two categories-those with a mayonnaise base and those with an oil base, but sometimes both mayonnaise and oil are used. Each version may have finely chopped vegetables, usually green onions and celery, and parsley; most are made with either Creole or stone-ground mustard. Salt, black pepper, and cayenne pepper are also standard ingredients. In the oil- and mayonnaise-based versions, the reddish hue often comes from the addition of a small amount of ketchup. The sauce is often topped with paprika for the aesthetics as well as the flavor. Generally, acidity is added with the inclusion of lemon juice or vinegar. Other additions include hardboiled egg or raw egg yolks, minced garlic, hot sauce, vinegar, horseradish, capers, cornichons, and Worcestershire sauce.[citation needed]

While the classic white remoulade is a condiment that can be offered in a variety of contexts (e.g. the classic celery root remoulade), Creole remoulade is used on shrimp, crabs, fried calamari, artichokes, and fried green tomatoes among other foods. Today, shrimp remoulade is a very common cold appetizer in New Orleans Creole restaurants,[citation needed] although, historically, hard boiled eggs with remoulade was a less expensive option on some menus. Shrimp remoulade is most often served as a stand-alone appetizer (usually on a chiffonade of iceberg lettuce). One might also see crawfish remoulade, but remoulade sauce is very seldom offered in restaurants as an accompaniment with fish; cocktail sauce and tartar sauce are generally the condiments of choice. Food columnist and cookbook author Leon Soniat suggests to "Serve [remoulade] over seafood or with sliced asparagus."[3]

#19 ·
Direct from the horses mouth, fwiw: Thank you for taking the time to contact us. We appreciate your interest in our Zatarain's Remoulade Sauce and welcome the opportunity to be of assistance to you.

We are sorry to disappoint you, but our company is no longer manufacturing Zatarain's Remoulade Sauce as of January 2014. It is always a difficult decision to discontinue a product that consumers enjoy.

G
#16 ·
Most people consider me a fair cook. I love food and really enjoy trying new things.

I enjoy southern cooking and will incorporate some dishes into the meals I serve, but it's easy to see how you can easily pack on the pounds.

The Po' boys with that semi-spicy sauce was really special. I've made jumbalaya, dirty rice, and know how to deep fry all sorts of things. I just have to perfect those Cajun sauces.

Good luck on your move decision.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.