New Rainshadows

Anyone have any experience with the new Rainshadows. Batson claims there 8wt switch should take a 390-440 grn skagit. Ive already somewhat asked about this. I just dont understand why they line them as a single hander or what not. Well I sorta do but im not gonna divulge on that. I am curious to hear from those who have personally used the new Immortal 8wt and what line worked best for you. Anyone know who designed these new Immortals? I know Steve Godshall helped designe there older Rainshadows but had nothing to do with the new ones. I just dont see the point of labeling a rod an 8wt when really it is a 6wt. An example is that there older RX7 switch 7 wt are really 5wt's...

Last edited:
Btw I have tried both a 390 and 440 gr skagit on this rod and can tell you it is underlined. So my question is why would a rod manufacturer recommend a line that isnt meant for this rod. Both 390 and 440's purchased for this rod and are now somewhat useless to me

bk paige

Wishin I was on the Sauk
Haven't tried those yet, I know their 1st Gen rx7 where definitely rated as single hand rods. My 1st thought would be to call batson and talk to kerry Batson, then Steve Godshall.

Haven't tried those yet, I know their 1st Gen rx7 where definitely rated as single hand rods. My 1st thought would be to call batson and talk to kerry Batson, then Steve Godshall.
Spoke with Batson after I posted this. Below is what they had to say.

"Kyle, sorry to hear you have gone thru some line troubles. When we developed these switch rods years ago we worked on them with RB Meiser, Gary Anderson and Steve Goodshall. Gary was the one that helped with the line ratings. I spoke with Steve about your troubles(I think you might have been talking with him as well) and we think that rating for the IMMF 1108-4 should be scandi 400-440 skagit 440-480. Line ratings are complicated and have been a major issue for the entire fly market for years .In particular spey & switch is very confusing. So much is dependent on casting style & stroke and the amount of line you are trying to cast at a given time. Our Old rating was very close Skagit was set up at 390-440. Call me if you have further questions."

I dont understand his comment, "Line ratings are complicated and have been a major issue for the entire fly market for years". Never had this issue with other rods. So basically what I am gathering from all of this is they are selling a 7wt switch rod but labeling it as a 8wt. The grain window numbers that are on the decal/website are way off as well.

Latest posts