Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Backpacking loop trips

2K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  TDub 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I'm wanting to get out on 2, 5 day backpacking trips this Summer with my family. We have 2 boys that will be 11 and 8. They've been backpacking before, and have spent a lot of time outdoors, but have only previously been out for 2 days. They can handle it, though.

Anyone have any suggestions for good loop hikes? We're hoping for something in the 25-30 mile range. Doesn't have to be a loop trail necessarily, but it makes it more fun, I think. Hopefully some fishing involved with small streams or lakes, but that happens almost everywhere. I'm aware of sites like WTA, but just looking for folks with personal experience.

I have my eye on some trips currently, but figured some of you might have some good suggestions. PM me if you don't want it out there on the interwebs.

We'll go anywhere in Washington and would consider Oregon and Idaho as well.

We would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks!

#3 ·
Hike the Elkhorn Crest trail from North to South in the Elkorn Mountains outside Baker City, Oregon.

Hike the Wenaha River wilderness trail from Elk Flats to Troy.

Neither are loops, both are in NE Oregon and are sweet, with good fishing and wildlife opportunities.

If you end up picking either of these let me know and I can recommend a someone to do a vehicle shuttle if needed.

#10 ·
There is a short loop in the Strawberry Mountains, 13 miles I think. Goes by two good fishing lakes and is very scenic. This is nest to Praire City in Eastern Oregon. I also would look at the lakes basin and some other hikes in the Wallowas.
Washington pass in the north cascades, from the cascade river to the stikihn river. You then have to take the lady of the lake down to Chelan. Not a loop but the boys would get a kick out of it
These are solid suggestions guys, thank you!

#12 ·
Ed, good call ( no pun intended.) A great hike. A lot of up, nice flat, and a lot of down.

That was going to be my suggestion. We did it one October and didn't take side trips down to the lakes. We did get to see the bears from a distance grazing on blue berries.

Enchanted valley is always a nice option. Be prepared, whatever that means, for black flies - they can bite through t- shirts. Some very nice fish to be had

Mb

#18 ·
When I was a youngster my dad and I used to do a trip every summer. Start at Solduc Hot Springs and hike the 3 miles or whatever up to Mink lake. Spend the first night there and do so fishing, then head up over the low divide down to the head waters of the Bogachiel and hike out. Trail comes out at a dirt road parking lot but I don't recall exactly where that was. Several of those three sided forest service shacks along the way and I always got a kick out of camping in them and sleeping on the cedar plank bunks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.