Are tips from Rio Scandi Short Versitip interchangeable?

I have a 5wt scandi short Versitip system that I bought for a single hand 8wt. I just got my first two handed, a Redington dually 7wt switch, and am trying to wrap my head around all the line options. I ended up grabbing a Chucker 7 and am just curious if I can use the tips from the 5wt SS Versitip system on the chucker line? Are tips from a specific system specific to the line weight? Like are the 5wt SS tips different from the 7wt SS tips etc.? If they're not specific to the SS line weight could I throw them on the chucker?

docstash

The tips on the Rio Scandi Short Versitip have different grain weights depending on the line size. It doesn't mean that they will not work just fine Chucker. I use the tip on my Scandi short versitip on Commando heads on 2109-4, 3106-4 switch rods as well as the 5116-4 and 7116-4 rods.

Craig
@redsflyshop.com

I have the 5wt scandi short versitip and I use the 50gr tips on a bunch of lines but they seem best on skagit heads in the 250-350 grain range. They also work just fine on the 6wt scandi short versitip.

The tips are density compensated, so for each line weight they weight the same but sink at different rates.
Right. Sorry, my question wasn't clear. Will grain difference between tips of various line weights affect sink rate? Like putting a tip from my 5wt SS setup on the chucker 7...will the 6ips tip still sink at that rate or will the 7wt line effect how far or quickly the tip gets down?

speyfisher

Right. Sorry, my question wasn't clear. Will grain difference between tips of various line weights affect sink rate? Like putting a tip from my 5wt SS setup on the chucker 7...will the 6ips tip still sink at that rate or will the 7wt line effect how far or quickly the tip gets down?
Will a 5 wt floating line float any higher than an 8wt line simply because it weighs less? Of course not. A Rio type 6 sink tip will, by design, sink at the same rate regardless of whether it is for a 5wt or an 8wt line. The difference is that although the 8wt line will turn over a 5wt sink tip, the 5wt line will have difficulty turning over the 8wt sink tip. Also as should be expected, the 8wt tip is capable of turning over a larger fly.

Will a 5 wt floating line float any higher than an 8wt line simply because it weighs less? Of course not. A Rio type 6 sink tip will, by design, sink at the same rate regardless of whether it is for a 5wt or an 8wt line. The difference is that although the 8wt line will turn over a 5wt sink tip, the 5wt line will have difficulty turning over the 8wt sink tip. Also as should be expected, the 8wt tip is capable of turning over a larger fly.
Great...I'll go ahead and give it a go and snag a different tip for the larger flies if they give me any trouble. Thanks.

Latest posts