leader length

Just wanted to see what else people were using. I pretty much use 7.5 and 9ft leaders for most freshwater fishing from smallmouth up to salmon. Just was wondering what others have been using because some people i have fished with are only using 5 and 6ft for similar fishing.

-

GAT

Dumbfounded
I've never found warmwater species to be "leader shy".... savage devils! I have found that I can control large, top water bass bugs easier with short, heavy leaders so seldom do I use anything longer than 6 foot. To yard a LMB out of the weeds I need all the strength I can get in a leader so normally I don't use leader material under 10 pounds... like I said, I haven't found greedy bass to be afraid of leader material.

Jim Ficklin

Genuine Montana Fossil
I don't start with 6', but if I have to change colors enough times to figure out what they want, I may end up with only 6'.
Tippet rings are your friend. when you replace the tippet, you never shorten the section of the leader above it. I have rings on every leader/reel I own (assuming you're using a tapered/stepped-down leader of course.).

Tippet rings are your friend. when you replace the tippet, you never shorten the section of the leader above it. I have rings on every leader/reel I own (assuming you're using a tapered/stepped-down leader of course.).
No Jim, not for bass. I like the concept of them, and even use them for trout (when I remember to tie it on). And I only use straight 12 or 14 fluorocarbon for bass.

spadebit

Are bass real leader shy? I've just been running maxima mono. Not real experienced w the bass... just never have thought to try flouro.

Latest posts