Ethics Question

neilbeaver

I was the first to use the trail I take back to one of my favorite spots and it was over grown with raspberry and blackberry bushes. In the past it was pretty well used. Would it be frowned upon if macheted that crap out?

Buzzy

I will be curious how other respond since I have a spot I'd like to do something just a bit more drastic to. Get that machete out and whack away.

The T.O. Show

Buenos Hatches Ese
I was the first to use the trail I take back to one of my favorite spots and it was over grown with raspberry and blackberry bushes. In the past it was pretty well used. Would it be frowned upon if macheted that crap out?
To reopen the trail? Nah man, go for it. Have a snack while you're at it.

The T.O. Show

Buenos Hatches Ese
Blackberry bushes are like the sewer rats of the forest. They have an unreal ability to multiply and take over their surroundings. You aren't going to do any harm by whacking a trail. I'm sure they will be back next year and you'll have to do it all over again.

Depends more on who own the property and if they would mind. But pick some berries and make a pie for your efforts. Might help to make an extra for the owner when you ask if it's private property.

Cold

I personally wouldn't, but I don't necessarily see any issue with it either, so long as it's done neatly and responsibly (so that it's clear you were clearing the trail, not just out to destroy vegetation, for example). Lord knows I've taken out my fair share of low hanging branches that got overly attached to my fly...mentally justified as clearing it out for the next angler...

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater
No issue with you chopping a path, but if it was me I'd leave it as is.
Less signs to others you've been fishing there and you'd be less likely to have company while fishing.
You'd just be making it easier for the lazy folks who wouldn't be willing to do some bushwhacking.
Barriers to entry will turn many away.
SF

No issue with you chopping a path, but if it was me I'd leave it as is.
Less signs to others you've been fishing there and you'd be less likely to have company while fishing.
You'd just be making it easier for the lazy folks who wouldn't be willing to do some bushwhacking.
Barriers to entry will turn many away.
SF
Leave the first 10' alone, then clear the rest! haha To the OP, I don't see any issue clearing a path. This would be common practice for hikers, mountain bikers, etc when they run in to an overgrown trail. I'm lazy and usually put up with the scratches and wait for someone else to clear the path.

Dewayne

You aren't going to kill it. I have three blackberry bushes I planted. If I didn't mow them back to contain them, eventually I'd have ten acres of them without planting another bush.

Blackberry preserves are good :)

GAT

Dumbfounded
I'm not even sure blackberries are native to the NW.... regardless, considering the things grow back like weeds, I don't see the harm in wack them back....

it isn't like you're talking about chopping down an old growth forest...

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater
Gene,
There are native blackberries in the NW. Eat some last week. They are very small and grow flat to the ground.
It is my understanding is the Himalayan blackberries that you see everywhere aren't native to the NW. Many consider them a weed......
SF

Latest posts