Ethics Question

Gene,
There are native blackberries in the NW. Eat some last week. They are very small and grow flat to the ground.
It is my understanding is the Himalayan blackberries that you see everywhere aren't native to the NW. Many consider them a weed......
SF
Yes, the Trailing Blackberry is our only native one, Rubus ursinus.

Small, yes. Usually the size of a pinky-nail. Sometimes bigger.

They are done producing when the bigger/common berries most know, become ripe. Somewhat hard to find locally and the patches do not last for many years.
Below are some fine examples of the "little wild blackberry"

View attachment 120017

The other, later and larger Evergreen and Himalayan, are widespread and not native.

Last edited:

Salmo_g

Years ago my ritual on the day before opening day, I'd clear my trail to a good fishing hole. As others mention, don't make the clearing work too obvious where it starts for stealth and security reasons. I don't fish there any more, but if I did, well, I still have the machete.

There is a place I like to launch my WM next to a bridge. But there is a massive blackberry patch that grows along the bridge, a fence, and any potential approach. So the first trip of each season I allow a half hour at the start to clear my route so I can get to the water and launch.

I guess this means I think it's ethical to clear a trail to a stream or lake.

Sg

Porter

Just wear your best white shirt and favorite hat when you hack away. I like the advice of trying to wade through a few feet then start hacking away.....but remember to mark it some how. Then tell us the marking so we know :p:D

If you have a large commercial type weed machine with a brush blade...such as Stihl, Echo etc. then it would be unethical to waste quality sweat and fishing time dinking around with a machete. Depending on how far you have to go...

hbmcc

Blackberries are an exotic noxious weed, unless they are farmed; which is why they were removed from the WA State Black List a few years ago. The story is that they have overwhelmed (and overwhelm) native and urban plots. The truth is the berries are popular and farming-maligning them is a conundrum similar to Marijuana.

There are two types of invasive plant. Himalayan creates dense vertical stalks. Evergreen consists of long creeping vines. Trouble is, the two seem connected, meaning, one in the same plant. Chances are really good, that our native blackberry, Rubus ursinus is never going to be confused with the exotics. It's a diminutive plant that will be smothered by the exotic form.

There are several species of Rubus in the Pac. NW. They all produce berries of similar shape and taste. Enjoy them, if wildlife haven't got to them first. Birds spewing shit of purple barffy mess on freshly cleaned vehicles have been gorging on blackberries.

hbmcc

You aren't going to kill it. I have three blackberry bushes I planted. If I didn't mow them back to contain them, eventually I'd have ten acres of them without planting another bush.

Blackberry preserves are good :)
Huhh!!!?? If you mow not, they will come.

People around here don't waste time or space allowing such a scourge on personal property. Besides, they grow next to every sidewalk that isn't maintained. I have enough death bottled in my garage to freak out EPA and hazmat armies. I believe in IPM and follow it to an extent.

bconrad

The big blackberries as many have stated are invasive and they prevent native vegetation from seeding in. I can't imagine any public entity having an issue with hacking on blackberries. They are considered a liability to the property owner.

That being said if it's a trail to your honey hole I'd use a pair of hand pruners instead of a machete and just remove the stalks that are likely to rip your waders. That will keep it somewhat incognito. For those of us that have spent a little time in the woods a machete trail is like a large blinking sign.

Latest posts