One bourbon, one scotch, one beer

b_illymac

WFF Moderator
I'm having a record year.

Got done with work to find a flat on my old ford truck late at night. Not in the mood to stomach four new tires (not much tread left) on a fishing/hunting rig with 220000 miles (still running like a top) I did what any self respecting bass angler would do. I got her done with the wife's car.

Yup, that fits just fine. 20160629_200058.jpg 5 am and we are off! 20160630_045400.jpg Water is perfect. 20160630_054024.jpg For the bass newbs. Cover water. I fish miles in a day. The more water you cover the better. 20160630_123212.jpg Stay hydrated. 20160630_084530.jpg Deer hair and popper head=large profile and a nice balanced fly with a good, "pop." 20160622_173947.jpg Selfie time. 20160630_102521.jpg Bass 101. Two nice bass where each arrow was. This was a picture perfect cove. Shade. Baitfish. Money. 20160630_133619.jpg 20160630_123155_20160630183921928.jpg Best fish of day. 20160630_083056.jpg
The quest for an 8 pounder continues....

Last edited:

Swimmy

I have an amazing collection of fishing shirts
WFF Supporter
Good stuff. So when you cast to the bass lying in the areas you pointed out with the red arrows, do they smash the fly immediately? Or do the come off their lie and follow the fly before eating?

b_illymac

WFF Moderator
Sometimes they crush it moment it lands. Sometimes you see a v wake headed towards fly from sometimes several feet away. And sometimes they chill under it for awhile and sorta suck it in.

My favorite is the wake.

Side note. I've heard often to cast and let the fly settle. I never do this. I pop that sucker right away. I believe in chaos theory. I want to invade and piss off the bass. I read a study once they don't actually feed that often in a day, so I try to entice a strike.

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
Side note. I've heard often to cast and let the fly settle. I never do this. I pop that sucker right away. I believe in chaos theory. I want to invade and piss off the bass. I read a study once they don't actually feed that often in a day, so I try to entice a strike.
I'm in the opposite camp. I like to let it sit.
The earliest I'll move it is after all the splash down rings have disapated, but I'll generally let it sit a lot longer then that. I've had them crush it after it has sat there for well over a minute.
Like everything in fishing, go with what you have confidence in.
SF

Jim Ficklin

Genuine Montana Fossil
WFF Supporter
Looks like a fine day - you have some nice bass in that country, Billy. Did your Bride serve you hot tongue & cold shoulder for dinner after you stuffed a Nucanoe in her Chevy wagon, lol? I took my 1st Bride's VW Super Beetle bowhunting one time when my little Bronco was down and awaiting parts. She wasn't happy when an elk came home in & on it and that's exactly what I was served for the next few days, but it was worth it.

Buzzy

WFF Supporter
Nicely done! Looks like a lot of fun - was going to say you missed what turned out to be an epic day with us on the lake but you didn't miss anything! (And our day was epic).

shotgunner

Anywhere ~ Anytime
Interesting, the "instant pop" ..I've had better luck with what I call dead sticking. Let bug sit after impact until rings are all but gone, then light twitch.. Some still days under sun that's about the only way they'll go. I save the popping and chugging for breeze and chop. Or over depth when you want to bring something up.

Either / Or ..and your day obviously good success!

zen leecher aka bill w

born to work, forced to fish
Billy, you want to row me around on that lake I'll take you up on it. I believe I've been to that "launch spot".

I'll even share some of my new poppers. :D

GAT

Dumbfounded
My favorite is the wake.

Same here.

I've seen LMB waking through weeds to get to my popper a few seconds after it hits the water. When you see vegetation parting and a wake headed for your bug, you're not exactly sure what to expect!:eek:

Good report.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts