WTB 12 WT Line for Tuna

Status
Not open for further replies.

Irafly

Indi Ira
WFF Supporter
Like the title says. I have a Redington Brakewater 11/12 with 300 plus yards of gel backing, another 50 yards of running line, now I just need a line to put on it. I really want to hit tuna this year.

Buzzy

I have a 13 wt., too much line? Let me know. Sorry, no specifics on the line, I had it spooled onto my Super 12N for a trip to Christmas Island, no box for anything more than that.

Adrian

I have some 550 Rio GT line. Unspooled to lawn cast, then put back on said spool and into original box.

$40 shipped and PayPal'd.

You can go from warm water line to cold water, just not cold water line to warm water.

Reeltrout

Your Brakewater will get smoked by a tuna. I speak from experience as I caught both Tuna (Orvis Mirage 7) and also a 40 lb. G.T. on an 11/12 Brakewater...the fish took out line so fast at full drag that I could hear metal on metal and smelled burning cork. I managed to land the G.T. after palming the reel, since retired. For lines I used a 540 Grain 12 wt. older Orvis line with 30 ft. Of T-17 tied on for depth. The hook up on a 40 lb. Yellow fin was a shit storm I will cherish forever. FB_IMG_1458888175715.jpg FB_IMG_1458888129437.jpg

Richard E

Like the title says. I have a Redington Brakewater 11/12 with 300 plus yards of gel backing, another 50 yards of running line, now I just need a line to put on it. I really want to hit tuna this year.

Running/shooting line already? You just need to pick up a couple of shooting heads to make a system. Depending on your rod, a T-14, LC-13, or T-17 shooting head would be your answer.

You might also think about picking up an extra spool with extra backing in case you're in the heat or catching fish, you lose a line and/or some backing. Taking extra backing works, but it takes a LONG time, while bouncing around in the boat, to re-spool some background my and a line on it.

BTW, the Brakewater will work fine for albacore. Make sure the cork is properly and adequately lubed before you go...

Irafly

Indi Ira
WFF Supporter
Running/shooting line already? You just need to pick up a couple of shooting heads to make a system. Depending on your rod, a T-14, LC-13, or T-17 shooting head would be your answer.

You might also think about picking up an extra spool with extra backing in case you're in the heat or catching fish, you lose a line and/or some backing. Taking extra backing works, but it takes a LONG time, while bouncing around in the boat, to re-spool some background my and a line on it.

BTW, the Brakewater will work fine for albacore. Make sure the cork is properly and adequately lubed before you go...

The backing and running line were on the reel when I traded it for a rod. I just saw the running line as extra line but I ready to take whatever advice from anyone in the know!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts