Thanks Brian

Dipnet

The wanted posters say Tim Hartman
WFF Supporter
Looks like an LSD hallucination from the late '60s!

Didn't Timothy Leary always say "tune in, turn on and catch fish"?

Pat Lat

Mad Flyentist
Looks like an LSD hallucination from the late '60s!

Didn't Timothy Leary always say "tune in, turn on and catch fish"?
Wasn't alive then dipnet :)
I was hoping I could make it like the "hope" posters from obamas campaign, but with chartreuse over pink. But since I'm not great at Photoshopping this was as close as I could get before getting frustrated and calling it good enough.

But seriously, this guy stonefish is responsible for a lot of people getting into some serious fish, whether they know it or not.
A lot of his advice, whether it be fishing tactics or fly design, trickles down through other fishermen. I've encountered so many people on the beach talking about their coho catching prowess.
Then I ask for their advice :rolleyes: and they show me their chartreuse/pink stinger clouser with yellow eyes and tell me verbatim what they read here as if they invented the shit.

If you see him on the beach make sure to say thanks, you probably owe him one.

Dipnet

The wanted posters say Tim Hartman
WFF Supporter
I sorta remember Brian when he was a snot-nosed kid fishing out of Pt. Defiance Boathouse a number of years ago.

I worked there for many years until I retired in 2009.

He's gotten better at the fishing game; I've regressed! ;)

Nick Clayton

WFF Supporter
Wasn't alive then dipnet :)
I was hoping I could make it like the "hope" posters from obamas campaign, but with chartreuse over pink. But since I'm not great at Photoshopping this was as close as I could get before getting frustrated and calling it good enough.

But seriously, this guy stonefish is responsible for a lot of people getting into some serious fish, whether they know it or not.
A lot of his advice, whether it be fishing tactics or fly design, trickles down through other fishermen. I've encountered so many people on the beach talking about their coho catching prowess.
Then I ask for their advice :rolleyes: and they show me their chartreuse/pink stinger clouser with yellow eyes and tell me verbatim what they read here as if they invented the shit.

Boy you hit the nail on the head here.
I have learned more from Brian than I could ever have learned on my own. I learned early on when getting into beach fishing that if him or Dimebrite suggested something, I needed to listen. I wouldn't be half the beach fisherman I am today if not for their help along the way.

Just a part of what makes this forum so awesome. There's pure gold written on these pages for those willing to pay attention and learn.

DimeBrite

5X Celebrity Jeopardy Champion
Very true. There are many good fly anglers, but few who have been as generous with their knowledge. Coho icon status confirmed.

:)

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
Thanks for the kind words.
I was lucky to have my dad as a mentor plus folks like Les Johnson, Bruce Ferguson, Pat Trotter etc.
Though my dad never flyfished, he got me hooked on fishing the salt. The books Les, Bruce and Pat wrote really helped me get started on the beach game.
I've continued to learn and see new things regarding beach fishing thanks to many generous members on this forum. The report and intel sharing has been extremely helpful to my personal fishing.
Hopefully some of the things I've posted helped people get started or improve their own fishing.
See you on the beaches,
Brian

Pat Lat

Mad Flyentist
Very true. There are many good fly anglers, but few who have been as generous with their knowledge. Coho icon status confirmed.
Not to leave you out Tim, I know you guys spend a lot of time on the beach, and have shared a lot of that experience here. Thank you too.

Brian was the first guy I noticed really putting out a ton of helpful stuff on this site and it definitely gave me the inspiration to hit the salt as hard as I have the past few years. Most of what I read before seemed to be about targeting estuary fish, or tactics from a boat.
The beach game we play is a bit different, targeting migrating or still feeding fish in fast current is a tough one and not easy to figure out on your own.

Last edited:

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
Pat,
You are correct regarding Tim.
Fishing with him has certainly helped my fishing and caused me look at things differently.
I never was much of a fan of big minus tides....I am now.
Watching him fish, I still always wonder which tune he is stripping line to.....probably the Beaver fight song. :)

I'd be remiss not to mention board members Wolverine, nailbender, Nick Clayton, SciGuy and mtskibum16 for all their help and intel over the years.
SF

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts