Biscuit/gravy?

Ed Call

Simple works for me, at home or in Dutch oven. Brown the spicy sausage, drain and then roll it in the flour of your choice. Milk and a bit of heavy cream, add a healthy amount of cracked black pepper. Bring up slowly to boil, then reduce heat and simmer.

If in the Dutch oven, you can make your biscuit mix and pour it over the top. Coals atop will make them rise, brown and add to the perfection.

jersey

livin' the dream
Simple works for me, at home or in Dutch oven. Brown the spicy sausage, drain and then roll it in the flour of your choice. Milk and a bit of heavy cream, add a healthy amount of cracked black pepper. Bring up slowly to boil, then reduce heat and simmer.

If in the Dutch oven, you can make your biscuit mix and pour it over the top. Coals atop will make them rise, brown and add to the perfection.
Yes Ed, proper gravy requires pepper, lots of it...

And Ives recipe is lights-out.

Pulled off a HUGE serving of biscuits and gravy at summers start, brother in-law and family, my family, and other brothers family too at my Mrs. parents home. We're rolling 15 folks deep... 3 lbs of sausages, quadrupled Ive's recipe, and the folks were bitchin that the kids won't eat it.

45 mins, all gone. My smirk was the "American Bird"of the weekend. If the foods good, they'll eat it.

Trapper

Author, Writer, Photographer
For ~12 servings I first make the buttermilk biscuits using frozen butter.

For the gravy I brown a pound of pork sausage then move the meat to the edges of the dutchie. Melt two sticks of butter, then slowly stir in ~ 1/2 Cup flour to make a roux. Slowly add 7 cups of cream.

Ive tried all sorts of seasonings from simple salt and pepper but the hands down favorite is Penzeys Breakfast Sausage seasonings plus a little salt. I add it into the browned meat.

I almost always serve up the biscuits and gravy with breakfast potatoes. I boil whole potatoes the night before and then let them cool before slicing them up. I toss them on a griddle with onions, red bell peppers, a little garlic, minced shallots, and salt and pepperand lots of butter and olive oil.

When served the gravy goes over the halved biscuit and spuds.

Latest posts