Biscuit/gravy?

Alex MacDonald

that's His Lordship, to you.....
Simple works for me, at home or in Dutch oven. Brown the spicy sausage, drain and then roll it in the flour of your choice. Milk and a bit of heavy cream, add a healthy amount of cracked black pepper. Bring up slowly to boil, then reduce heat and simmer.

If in the Dutch oven, you can make your biscuit mix and pour it over the top. Coals atop will make them rise, brown and add to the perfection.
Don't forget the garlic, but i dice up bacon, brown it and sausage with diced onions, add some flour for the roux, half and half, get it thick and ladle it over Ive's famous biscuits!

View attachment 121553 Any more I make my biscuits rectangular. It's a lot easier.
Looks like this one will be on tap tomorrow morning!!

FinLuver

View attachment 121523 View attachment 121524

The bottom one is a change up that's a family tradition. We make it every Easter, but it's a treat every now and then. Called Goldenrod eggs. Make your gravy like normal except no sausage. Have cut up hard boiled eggs on the side. Once gravy is about done toss in eggs. I make them chunky. Crumble up yolk, it'll turn gravy goldenrod colored.
Creamed Eggs on toast is what I remember as a kid...

Trapper

Author, Writer, Photographer
Exhuming this thread from the crypt just to see if anyone has something to add.
There is only one thing and it’s simply ancillary. At my CostCo, I never see bulk pork sausage. They do however sell Tarantino brand Italian sausage in brat sized sausage form. I have found that each of these weighs very close to 1/4th pound. Slicing the skin and dumping out the meat is simple. It’s a very flavorful pork sausage that is a wonderful compliment to sausage gravy for biscuits and gravy.

dld

The best gravy I've ever had came from Hominy Grill in Charleston SC. They make a breakfast item called the 'Big Nasty Biscuit', it is biscuit, sausage gravy, and a fried chicken breast.

I just looked it up, their website has the recipe for the gravy: http://hominygrill.com/recipes/

Sausage Gravy
Ingredients
  • 6 T diced yellow onions
  • 4 T diced bell peppers
  • 1 T butter
  • 4 T flour
  • ½lb sausage
  • 3 C hot chicken stock
  • 1 C heavy cream
  • Salt, black pepper, Tabasco
Show Instructions
  1. Crumble the sausage into the hot butter fat and sauté until it begins to brown.
  2. Stir in the onions and peppers and cook tender.
  3. Turn down heat and stir the flour into the fat and cook on low for 3 to 4 minutes.
  4. Slowly add the hot chicken stock and bring to a simmer for 5 minutes.
  5. Stir in heavy cream.
  6. Season with the salt, pepper and Tabasco.

Trapper

dld. Wow that sounds like an amazing breakfast. I really like adding in the onions, peppers, and stock. Im going to try that.

The only thing I wont do is the Tabasco. Its just a personal thing. I developed an aversion to it when I was in the Navy. We’d get cases of C-Rats with tiny bottles of Tabasco. The other Navy food, whether on base or ship was so bland. Anyway, I just got really tired of it. I’d much rather use other pepper based sauces rather than cayenne.

dld

dld. Wow that sounds like an amazing breakfast. I really like adding in the onions, peppers, and stock. Im going to try that.

The only thing I wont do is the Tabasco. Its just a personal thing. I developed an aversion to it when I was in the Navy. We’d get cases of C-Rats with tiny bottles of Tabasco. The other Navy food, whether on base or ship was so bland. Anyway, I just got really tired of it. I’d much rather use other pepper based sauces rather than cayenne.
Trapper, it was an amazing breakfast. $12 and worth every penny.

I'm not a tabasco fan, either. The mass amounts of raw vinegar are off-putting.

The gravy was not what I would call traditional, but I figure that since it was in Charleston, SC, they can change up a southern classic--as a yank, I can't complain.

Trapper

$12!!!!!

I’d be a frequent customer.

I think the overuse of vinegar in Tabasco is what really puts me off also, but cayenne is way down my pepper list. I make my own chipotle (mesquite smoked red jalapenos) but haven’t turned any into a sauce. Commercial chipotle sauce always seems kind of weenie to me.

I’m not in the “more heat is better” camp. I don’t look for something that’s going to make my ears ring or stop my breathing. I’m more about the flavor with a heat kicker. Balance. A glistening sweat running down my temples is good as long as the flavor compliments the food.

Latest posts