Biscuit/gravy?

Darby

The RDF on Ft. Lewis, always had some of best chow around. Their secret was to add some Yoshida's Sauce to the gravy...Tasty!

Buzzy

I’m really starting to enjoy paprika and smoked paprika. When roasted on certain items it adds so much love.
I really like smoked paprika in some soups and as a dry rub ingredient. Last summer I found this recipe for a steak dry rub (steak snacks): 1/2C brown sugar, 1 T. ground coriander, 1 T. kosher salt, 2 t. ground cumin and 2 t. smoked paprika. Delicious!

My grandma said that people started using butter in their biscuits and gravy because sausage manufacturers like Jimmy Dean changed their product to include a lot less fat. She said that when you used to cook the sausage you would have a pool of grease/fat on the bottom and THAT is what was used to soak up the flour.
Therefore, my recipe calls for 2 tubes of jimmy dean cooked in pan, (do NOT drain anything). I then mix in 1/2 stick of butter, and lard to make that pool of fat in the center. Then regular all purpose flour/pepper/cayenne pepper, and milk

Jerry Daschofsky

Staff member
My grandma said that people started using butter in their biscuits and gravy because sausage manufacturers like Jimmy Dean changed their product to include a lot less fat. She said that when you used to cook the sausage you would have a pool of grease/fat on the bottom and THAT is what was used to soak up the flour.
Therefore, my recipe calls for 2 tubes of jimmy dean cooked in pan, (do NOT drain anything). I then mix in 1/2 stick of butter, and lard to make that pool of fat in the center. Then regular all purpose flour/pepper/cayenne pepper, and milk
Funny you mention this, because this was how I was raised making sausage gravy. Always left the grease in pan then added flour. I do like adding a little better to add a little richness to gravy.

Funny you mention this, because this was how I was raised making sausage gravy. Always left the grease in pan then added flour. I do like adding a little better to add a little richness to gravy.
I was also raised to just use milk. I am intrigued by how some of you all are using creme or half n half. I actually leave out alot of the "heat" in the gravy now that I live with girls that do not like hot stuff.

Last edited:

Jerry Daschofsky

Staff member
I was also raised to just use milk. I am intrigued by how some of you all are using creme or half n half. I actually leave out alot of the "heat" in the gravy now that I live with girls that do not like hot stuff.
I grew up using milk, since half and half was a luxury that my parents couldn't always afford. But they did prefer to use a heavy cream or half and half if it was available. Definitely a different product between the different dairy products used. Now I only use half and half to make it.

Jerry Daschofsky

Staff member
1016130928.jpg

For something a little different. I make breakfast pizza. I use small pita for crust. Sausage gravy for sauce. Add more sausage, bacon, eggs, and onions for toppings. Then finish off with cheese and toss into my pizza oven.

Jerry Daschofsky

Staff member
Yum. I had a friend who made a breakfast casserole that is similar . He would use tater tots as the base.
Almost sounds like my scrambles. Went to a place near my house today in Graham for breakfast. They make large country potatoes as base of scramble me. Then add Italian sausage, bacon, eggs, onions, and cheese. Then top all that with sausage gravy. I seriously haven't ate all day. Absolutely delicious.

Latest posts