tuna tenkara

ribka

went about 40 miles off the coast of ilwaco for tuna

it was strictly a meat trip and brought home about 90 lbs of filets

Did try a jack pole which is similar to a tenkara method fishing

about 6 feet of 100 lb mono connected directly to a stiff fiberglass pole.

it was interesting to observe the behavior of the tuna.They would not take a dead or almost dead bait it had to have certain action and natural drift much like trout and steelhead. i had many passes on almost dead bait. Very particular on action and drift. Sound familiar freshwater river and lake guys?

canning this week

http://vid862.photobucket.com/albums/ab186/ribka123/Mobile Uploads/trim.92B5EFC7-2362-4CC3-88C4-E2A60384DE26_zpsezmiz1wy.mp4

will try and post a few more

Last edited:

FerrousTortoise

My buddies grandpa used to catch Ahi on a cane pole. They'd have a fly or jig on a big bamboo pole with heavy line and flick some big tuna into the boat. I remember seeing some pictures as a kid at his grandpas house, some of these fish were huge. I think the idea was if you could get their head out of the water then you could take away most of their power and control them to the boat.

veilside180sx

SilverFly

That Shake n Bake's boat?
Good chance. Capt Mike does have a thing for the jackpole. He was the one swinging tuna past my head on the Opportunaty a few years ago.

hmmmm, wonder if my "The Great Equalizer" glass rod would work for that....****lightbulb****
That is a tough rod but a genuine jackpole is the length of a spey rod and somewhere around a 300 weight line rating. I do like your idea of rigging is as a troll stick though. While I'm not the biggest fan of trolling with a fly rod I have to admit there is something about nearly having the rod ripped out of your hands when you least expect it. Might as well have a line in the water when were hunting.

veilside180sx

Most of the guys around here have gone from the 13-15' long jackpoles down to 10', and they almost always net the fish rather than flip it in the boat. It's better for the loins to not be bruised.

ribka

i bought out my my ten weight with 1/2 doz anchovy patterns and passed. We had limited time to fill boat and get back across the bar.

next time;)

ribka

Ridiculous! I'll take some though. :D

have a pack of loins for you

eating tuna bomb every night for dinner

3 tablespoons unseasoned rice vinegar
2 tablespoons finely grated peeled fresh ginger
2 tablespoons peanut oil
2 tablespoons Asian sesame oil
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
1 serrano chile, seeded, minced
Freshly ground white pepper

Preparation:

Whisk first 8 ingredients in medium bowl to blend; season to taste with ground
white pepper. Refrigerate at least 30 minutes and up to 45 minutes.

Now, the Bomb!

Take a TUNA! loin and trim off the tips, leaving a uniform loin. Then trim off the edges to make a reasonably round loin.
round_loin.jpg

Tear off a piece of plastic wrap about 18" long and lay it out on the counter. Then lay out slices of serrano or prosciutto ham (the razor thin stuff), overlapping them at least 1/2". You need enough to completely wrap the TUNA! loin. Don't over do it. Complete coverage is ideal without too much overlap.
prosciutto.jpg

Lay in the loin....
loin_on_ham.jpg

At this point, you may have attracted an audience.
audience.jpg

Now use the plastic wrap to roll up the loin. With practice you'll nail it.
roll.jpg

Fold the ham toward the loin ends and twist the plastic wrap.
twist.jpg

Tuck the twisted ends under the loin and let set up in the fridge for an hour or two.
wraped.jpg

After the bomb has set up in the fridge, cut off the twisted ends then carefully remove the rest of the plastic wrap...
ears2.jpg

Conditions are perfect. Now..... It's Business Time!
fry2.jpg

Cook the Bomb on Med-Hi heat in light oil, rotating until cooked on all sides, including the ends.
ends.jpg

The objective is to fully cook the ham, NOT the TUNA! Looks something like this... Aw yeah!
fried.jpg

Now cut the bomb into 3/4" to 1" medallions...

serve with the juice and an ipa or lager or blanc of your choice

yummy
cut.jpg

medallions.jpg

SilverFly

have a pack of loins for you

eating tuna bomb every night for dinner

3 tablespoons unseasoned rice vinegar
2 tablespoons finely grated peeled fresh ginger
2 tablespoons peanut oil
2 tablespoons Asian sesame oil
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
1 serrano chile, seeded, minced
Freshly ground white pepper

Preparation:

Whisk first 8 ingredients in medium bowl to blend; season to taste with ground
white pepper. Refrigerate at least 30 minutes and up to 45 minutes.

Now, the Bomb!

Take a TUNA! loin and trim off the tips, leaving a uniform loin. Then trim off the edges to make a reasonably round loin.
round_loin.jpg

Tear off a piece of plastic wrap about 18" long and lay it out on the counter. Then lay out slices of serrano or prosciutto ham (the razor thin stuff), overlapping them at least 1/2". You need enough to completely wrap the TUNA! loin. Don't over do it. Complete coverage is ideal without too much overlap.
prosciutto.jpg

Lay in the loin....
loin_on_ham.jpg

At this point, you may have attracted an audience.
audience.jpg

Now use the plastic wrap to roll up the loin. With practice you'll nail it.
roll.jpg

Fold the ham toward the loin ends and twist the plastic wrap.
twist.jpg

Tuck the twisted ends under the loin and let set up in the fridge for an hour or two.
wraped.jpg

After the bomb has set up in the fridge, cut off the twisted ends then carefully remove the rest of the plastic wrap...
ears2.jpg

Conditions are perfect. Now..... It's Business Time!
fry2.jpg

Cook the Bomb on Med-Hi heat in light oil, rotating until cooked on all sides, including the ends.
ends.jpg

The objective is to fully cook the ham, NOT the TUNA! Looks something like this... Aw yeah!
fried.jpg

Now cut the bomb into 3/4" to 1" medallions...

serve with the juice and an ipa or lager or blanc of your choice

yummy
cut.jpg

medallions.jpg

The images aren't showing but the recipe description sounds incredibly delicious. You're killin' me - fix the pix! ;)

ribka

Sucks having to feel apologetic about bringing a fly rod on board huh?

I have caught albacore before on my 12 wt but sold my 12 wt last year

with 2 hours to put 50 fish on boat i was fine with the jp and conventional gear

The fish this year were running too big for a 10wt to put fish quickly in boat and to be honest the tuna that day would not key in that day we were fishing on artificials plus we had a lot of sharks around the boat making the tuna skittish and putting them down deeper than expected. Getting a fly pattern down below 30 ft drifting naturally in the current was too problematic that day

well , have two months left to target them on fly

ill be out agnain in Aug and Sept with fly rod.

Last edited:

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts