From an 8 to a 2 (weight)

Buzzy

WFF Supporter
Yesterday it was the 8 weight fishing still waters for carp. Today it was a nice picnic in the forest with my wife and then some wet wading with my 2 weight. Wasn't worried about 20 pound carp bending the 2 weight.
DSCF0061.JPG
Along with the 8 weight, my waders were at home, wet wading when it is 91°F is pretty comfortable wading. My 2 weight creek hosts wild cutthroat and brook trout. There are a few rocks in the drainage that help form pools, waterfalls, chutes and holding water. It seemed every pool held a fish or ten.
DSCF0066.JPG
This pool, despite being in full sun, held seven risers. Five of them came unbuttoned and two came to hand.
DSCF0064.JPG
This fast little run was surprisingly good, I think the shade helped. My # 18 Goddard Caddis rose ten or so fish, three to hand. Some of the fish were so big..... I wondered how they could have eaten a caddis as large as my fly. I mean some of the trout were pushing maybe four inches.
DSCF0058.JPG
This little brook trout was the first fish of the day to my hand. All other fish to hand were cutthroat. Both species are beautiful. At this size and in the fast water, the 2 weight gets bent!
DSCF0062.JPG
This trout actually pulled line of the reel, the drag was close to free spool.
DSCF0065.JPG
This is actually a pretty good sized fish for this creek which originates from a lake at 6,000 feet elevation. I turned over a couple submerged rocks and saw cased caddis and mayfly nymphs, I think a shuck I saw on a rock was a stonefly. The fish seem healthy and obviously find food. Their colors, their markings. I hiked back to the shade where my wife was sitting in a chair, reading and was thinking life is really good.

Back to the 8 weight tomorrow. Hoping the hot weather in the Basin brings the carp up onto the flats.

BDD

Nice. There is pretty good flow in the creek for late July. Gonna have to get up there within the next few weeks, not just for the fishing, beauty, and coolness of the water, but also for the ritual, tradition, and summer's rite of passage.

Take care my friend.

Buzzy

WFF Supporter
Nice. There is pretty good flow in the creek for late July. Gonna have to get up there within the next few weeks, not just for the fishing, beauty, and coolness of the water, but also for the ritual, tradition, and summer's rite of passage.

Take care my friend.
we need to get up to the source, eh? Thanks BDD, you take care too!

I need to see if you have a second trip report, double eh?

Buzzy

WFF Supporter
Buzzy,

Isn't Ephrata about a million miles from any mountain stream?
Shhhhhhhhh! Not quite a million miles but maybe close to three hours and given all the dang road construction, over three hours.

Red Arch

I was waiting for you to drop a bombshell and go "then this thing hits my fly, and after 20 minutes I land some 20 pound carp"

Old Man

A very Old Man
WFF Supporter
Don't have that kind of water where I live. I sure do miss this little mountain streams.

Although I live at 5,000'+ these small streams don't fall like that and there isn't any trees around.

Last edited:

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

That said, WFF displays just a single ad regardless of the device, and that ad helps cover the server fees. The position and size of the ad has been set to minimize impact to your experience, negating the need for adblocking the site. Disable your AdBlocker / Whitelist WashingtonFlyFishing.com to continue using the site. Thanks.

I've Disabled AdBlock